Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Moto's Pwr Pkg. & Decel Popping/Backfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010 | 02:01 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by DukeofEarl
I appreciate all of the responses and iclick is right in that I have not altered my idle settings. As I said in my original post, my current map setting of 15 from 1500-5250 RPM has pretty much resolved the decel popping. I was trying to resolve the backfire occurrence when shifting. I found it interesting that a map setting of -10 resolved the backfire but brought back the decel popping and a positive map setting of 15 eliminates the decel popping but brings back the backfire when shifting. Interesting phenomenon.

I think I will try Jamie's suggestion and go to a positive 20 and see what happens. If I get enough ambition, I may take the whole exhaust system apart again and replace all of the gaskets. I had originally just replaced the crossover gasket and left the head pipe gaskets as original because they looked ok.

But I would rather just be riding.
Decel popping can indeed be a wierd phenomenon and can happen for different reasons and it can take different strategies to resolve, there is simply no right or wrong. In most cases this is doneby adding fuel to the decel area which will lower the exhaust gas temp and the ability for the hydrocarbons to ignite by themselves. Removing fuel also works are times, however because this can cause a sharp increase in exhaust gas temp it can make popping worse as it will try to ignite any gasses that will burn in the pipe.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 08-19-2010 | 11:52 AM
flyer91
Tourer

You can probably bribe your local smoker with a pack of his/her choice (or just this once ........ light up yourself) and use a cigarette to gently blow/let the smoke drift around the exhaust joints with the engine running to see if there is any leaks.

If you do find some, and/or just decide to go ahead redo the exhaust connections, get a ~10" piece of 1.75" O.D., and minimum 1/16" wall thickness, steel tubing.
Use a table sander, file, or grinder to bevel one edge at about 45º angle, to make up a mandrel, and then pound it into the 'large' exhaust slip fit (where the torca clamps secure it) and use a ball peen hammer to to take out any dents the torca clamps may have made in the exhaust pipe, and to ensure the flanged areas of the joints (not the header flange) are round again.

If you know somebody that has a set of FullSac TD's see if they might let you borrow the one that comes in that kit.
It's drawback is that it's only 4 inches long and as such .... can be a bit of a hassle to remove once it's in there (hence the recommendation to make up one about 10" long).

It's advised to use new torca clamps any time they are removed, but I have gotten away with using the same ones again ....... YMMV.

Last edited by flyer91; 08-19-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2010 | 12:03 PM
randytro
Banned

Last edited by randytro; 08-15-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2010 | 01:33 PM
user 8373900
Banned

The clamps stretch after the first couple times of tightening, and when they bottom out I have seen mufflers come loose.

Mark

Old 08-19-2010 | 02:01 PM
flyer91
Tourer

As Mark said ....... and/or they may not seal effectively.
If in doubt at all just replace them.
BTW: There are SS versions avail. at about $8 each.

Old 08-19-2010 | 10:26 PM
blueduramax
Cruiser

Thanks for the info in this thread. I have been chasing decel popping ever since I bought this bike. In other posts I was trying to really find out why it happens and never received any satisfactory replies. I took my whole exhaust off today, replaced the gaskets, put on new clamps and put the the seal on the muffler joint. I will try it out tomorrow, though because of past experiences I am skeptical about a fix.

Old 08-19-2010 | 11:15 PM
hedgehorn
Road Captain

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone seen damage from installing pipes without fuel management i/e running lean? These bikes have oxygen sensors and can make adjustments while in closed loop. I know they are in open loop at WOT but seriously I haven't read any posts about engine damage from adding pipes/a/c without after market fuel management.

Old 05-12-2013 | 11:45 AM
Hughey79
Tourer
Default Bumping from waayyyyy back...

This is an old thread but it still applies to me and hoping that since this topics birth others have had the same issue and/or a fix.
Since this thread I have tried several maps and had two dynos done. The best so far is the one I had completed in Sturgis last fall by Speeds.
Bike runs well but yet I still have the popping during up shifts no, absolutely no popping during decel in gear clutch out. When in neutral and rev'ing there is almost no popping there either. Also yes the gaskets were all replaced as well as the clamps.
I tried the smoke from an incense stick to check for leaks and nothing.

Someone chime in here and help out. Thanks!

Old 01-24-2015 | 11:33 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Default decel popping

This thread is handy.I have enjoyed reading it.I just put on Full Boar slip ons on my bike and get decel popping just as the throttle is almost closed.Once its closed it stops.I went from screaming eagle street thunders to 2" open baffles.The throttle response and power are noticeable but would like to get rid of popping.Bike already has a 49 state stage one download.Screaming eagle ac.

Old 01-26-2015 | 06:39 AM
longrides
Tourer

I had this problem and tried a couple of new maps Jamie sent me. They helped but didn't completely solve the problem. I decided to check all exhaust gaskets and found a new crossover gasket was leaking causing the problem.... not visually evident. I took the crossover apart and re-tightened and problem gone.

Quick Reply: Fuel Moto's Pwr Pkg. & Decel Popping/Backfire