Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010 | 10:14 PM
NECaveman
Tourer

I run SYN3 in all three holes since the first oil chg. I don't think your going to find an oil that will quiet all the engine and tranny noise and provide the best ever lubrication and cooling. On my last bike I switched from dino to Mobile 1 and could not tell any difference between the two oils. I know a couple riders who switched back to dino and SYN3 from Amsoil and were not pleased with engine noise using Amsoil.

Old 08-16-2010 | 10:33 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master

I just don't like one size fits all. I think each application needs a different additive package. Look at the HD non-synthetic fluids, and you'll find different lubricants for the motor, and the primary/transmission. Nothing wrong with syn3 in all three. Use what you like.

Old 08-16-2010 | 11:12 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise

Here's something to think about. If you want to find out what holds up and what doesn't, go ask some 1%ers. They put some hard fast miles on bikes. Ask them a question like that and they would probably talk to you. I would. I don't run SYN 3 in transmissions and most other guys don't either. Some years back when it first came out some used it and had transmission bearing failure in short order. It won't stand up to the stress of hard riding, although i would say probably 95% of the people reading this don't ride that hard and it probably works just fine. Just passing along what i know. Any kind of 75/90 synthetic gear oil works just fine. When you balance out oil that might under certain conditions cause bearing failure and oil that works just fine, i know which one i use.

Old 08-17-2010 | 03:54 AM
Meathook
Cruiser

The guy who donates the oil to our Car Care Clinic (for single parents) is a firm believer in synthetic oils. Every 6 months or so, we talk oil.

I run synthetic in the mill and treat it (changes) like regular oil. I do that for heat purposes and feel it is less likely to break down. Never had a problem with Syn 3, but may change as it is priced high.

I did change to Red Line heavy in the trans and am very happy with it. Reduced noise and made it shift smoother. I still run regular H-D in the primary, but would not be afraid to put AFT in there is necessary.

My dealer tells me he has never noticed a significant different between the wear using regular oils and synthetic. He is second generation H-D owner and grew up wrenching on H-D twins.

My old H-D went 84,000 miles on Syn 3 in the mill and regular in the other 2 holes. Far as I know, it continues to purr along w/o problems. Now at 10,000 on the Limited and no problems.

Old 08-17-2010 | 07:32 AM
Max96
Tourer

Put whatever you feel comfortable with and can afford. Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=9&page=1 Lotsa good info about oil and bikes. Personally I have run a few different pricey synthetics and cheap dinos in my engines over the years, no real noticeable difference for me.

Old 08-17-2010 | 07:40 AM
wrongway2
Advanced

I tried using a synthetic oil in all 3 holes. It lasted for 1 oil change and I've gone back to the HD dino oil.

My bike seems to prefer the HD dino over the amsoil for whatever reasons.

On my bike, the engine is much quieter with the regular oil.

Last edited by wrongway2; 08-17-2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: because I can't spell worth a damn
Old 08-17-2010 | 07:48 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

I think another reason people move from HD oil is convenience. A HD dealer may be many miles away but a Walmart/auto parts store could be just down the street..

Old 08-17-2010 | 09:00 AM
teedubya
Road Master

I have ran the HD Syn 3 since the first change in all three holes. I'll continue to do so until my dealer's service or parts dept. recommends a different oil. It's readily available and approved by HD. I have a co-worker who runs Lucas and he swears by that oil. Use what suits you, as long as it meets manufacturers specs you're good as gold.

Old 08-17-2010 | 09:05 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer

Mainly because charging some $13 per quart for Syn 3 from a Harley dealer is a huge ripoff. Especially when you can go buy Mobil 1 V-twin 20w-50 at your local auto store for around $9 a quart.

Old 08-17-2010 | 09:22 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by will2002
I run Syn3 in all 3, 'cause it's easy, and I'm lazy.*** Sometimes the truth hurts!
See? I told ya in another of the thousands of oil threads.

DON'T PUT MOTOR OIL IN YOUR TRANSMISSION!!!!

Quick Reply: HD Oil