Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed SE Compensator under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010 | 04:50 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
|
Road Warrior
Default Installed SE Compensator under warranty?

Trying to sort out an issue since my bike was new, and have been trying to get my local dealer to open up and inspect the primary, and replace the compensator under warranty to the SE Compensator. Dealer contacted H-D Tech Support last week on my behalf. H-D states that they have NEVER, EVER replaced any OEM compensator with the SE Compensator, and that anyone that has had that done 'under warranty' either paid the difference themselves, or their local dealer paid under customer good-will, but not H-D.

Soooo, I gotta ask: has anyone with a '07, '08, '09 or '0-10 touring series every had the compensator replaced to an SE, and H-D paid the bill in full.

Now here it gets even more confusing for me: the dealer said that while H-D will NOT install the SE, they have agreed to install the OEM compensator version standard on the Trike, which the dealer says is more heavy-duty than the OEM one on my Ultra, but not the SE. Told them 'fair enough, let's do that' and the dealer will order the part this coming week.

But while I'm looking through the Screamin' Eagle section of the 2010 and 2011 Parts & Accessories catalog this morning and look up the SE Big Twin Compensator, it states that this part is Original Equipment on Trike models.

Can anybody explain to me what H-D is telling my dealer, and what they mean by the OEM compensator for the Trike, which appears to me to be exactly what H-D says they won't put in my Ultra?

Old 08-15-2010 | 05:20 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default SE Comp

I paid the diff to get the SE comp under warrenty.

Don't know about the trike comp, but I was very glad to get the SE compensator and only pay the difference.

Old 08-15-2010 | 05:44 PM
rleggs
Tourer

Just picked my 09 ultra up yesterday from a free SE compensator upgrade. Gotta tell you there is a huge difference in starting and overall engine smoothness. No more starter grinding or hot restart kickback. Don't know why they would tell you they never replaced one under warranty, the service manager had to get an auth. # from the moco for them to be paid for the upgrade. I think somebody's blowing smoke at you. The SE compensator is stock on all 2011 touring bikes as I understand it.

Old 08-15-2010 | 05:56 PM
user 8373900
Banned

Just pay the difference and ride away. The S/E comp wasn't original equipment until this yr. 2011. They will certainly replace yours with another just like it came with...

Mark

Old 08-15-2010 | 10:35 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
Just pay the difference and ride away. The S/E comp wasn't original equipment until this yr. 2011. They will certainly replace yours with another just like it came with...

Mark

Dealer says that H-D will replace the OEM compensator with the 'heavy-duty' one that is used in the Tri-Glide, but won't install the SE version in my Ultra. But it seems that the Tri-Glide actually uses the SE version, for at least the last two model years, according to the 'Accessory Catalogs, so I'm hoping that someone can explain that to me. Is there really three separate compensators used on the '0-10's and '09's?

I'd pay the difference, and have offered, but the dealer says H-D won't allow that...

Old 08-15-2010 | 10:58 PM
user 8373900
Banned

I don't think there are 3 different ones, not from recent years anyway. Sounds like a communication problem on their end (they aren't listening). I don't think I've ever seen a dealer that wouldn't take money.
Maybe you need to 'splain' it to them in simpler terms!! LOL Good luck

MArk

The following users liked this post:
Tinman1929 (05-04-2020)
Old 08-16-2010 | 05:32 AM
bull
Advanced

Had the Screamin Eagle compensator installed Saturday on my 08 Ultra. Made a huge difference in starting and over all drivetrain smoothness including shifting and jerky clutch issues. Highly reccomend this upgrade. Never asked about upgrading under warranty but my dealer always takes very good care of me and I have one of the best techs working on my bike.

Old 08-16-2010 | 06:13 AM
glide2005
Supporter

I just had mine replaced two weeks ago with the OEM comp.. Nothing changed. I didn't know about the SE comp. untill afterwards. I did find out that the 2010 trikes and 2011 touring bike come stock with the SE comp. Most of the viberation is gone, but the start kick back is worse now. Gonna try again to get it replaced and pay the difference.

Old 08-16-2010 | 06:39 AM
TheRainMan
Cruiser

I am heading on Wednesday to my dealer to get the SE compensator installed (and I pay the difference from OEM). The OEM one has caused so many problems (like chewing up starter teeth) that they've just included it as standard equipment on the 2011's...

Old 08-16-2010 | 06:50 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP

Mark
FYI. The SE Compensator was standard equipment on the 2010 SE Ultra and SE Street Glide. It became standard on the non-CVO Touring bikes in 2011.

Quick Reply: Installed SE Compensator under warranty?