Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed SE Compensator under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010 | 10:34 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer

Originally Posted by MNrider
What are the symptoms of a compensator going bad?
The first indications that I had with my bike was the starter dragging and grinding at startup on occasion.

Old 08-24-2010 | 11:36 AM
c50plus
Tourer

Ok so no body has asked.
1) How much would it cost to have them put an SE ompensator out of pocket( no warrantie)?
2) If you have warrantie, how much is to pay for the difference to go to an SE compensator?

Old 08-24-2010 | 11:43 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by c50plus
Ok so no body has asked.
1) How much would it cost to have them put an SE ompensator out of pocket( no warrantie)?
2) If you have warrantie, how much is to pay for the difference to go to an SE compensator?
1) Approx. $480

2) Approx. $150

I just priced it recently...I believe thats what SM told me...

Old 05-03-2020 | 07:27 PM
Kyle McGill
Stage I
Default Clueless

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
Trying to sort out an issue since my bike was new, and have been trying to get my local dealer to open up and inspect the primary, and replace the compensator under warranty to the SE Compensator. Dealer contacted H-D Tech Support last week on my behalf. H-D states that they have NEVER, EVER replaced any OEM compensator with the SE Compensator, and that anyone that has had that done 'under warranty' either paid the difference themselves, or their local dealer paid under customer good-will, but not H-D.

Soooo, I gotta ask: has anyone with a '07, '08, '09 or '0-10 touring series every had the compensator replaced to an SE, and H-D paid the bill in full.

Now here it gets even more confusing for me: the dealer said that while H-D will NOT install the SE, they have agreed to install the OEM compensator version standard on the Trike, which the dealer says is more heavy-duty than the OEM one on my Ultra, but not the SE. Told them 'fair enough, let's do that' and the dealer will order the part this coming week.

But while I'm looking through the Screamin' Eagle section of the 2010 and 2011 Parts & Accessories catalog this morning and look up the SE Big Twin Compensator, it states that this part is Original Equipment on Trike models.

Can anybody explain to me what H-D is telling my dealer, and what they mean by the OEM compensator for the Trike, which appears to me to be exactly what H-D says they won't put in my Ultra?
I worked for an HD Service Dept for years. Your shop, nor the first person at Harley have a clue. Yes, many many many bikes have had the compensator replaced with the upgraded one under warranty. After they found the problem with the old ones all the newer bikes got them stock. So its not really an SE product (unless they made an even better one 8n the last 3 years, but sold in the catalog for older (pre 14) models. Not sure about the trike thing but sounds like you got the right one

Old 05-03-2020 | 08:35 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kyle McGill
I worked for an HD Service Dept for years. Your shop, nor the first person at Harley have a clue. Yes, many many many bikes have had the compensator replaced with the upgraded one under warranty. After they found the problem with the old ones all the newer bikes got them stock. So its not really an SE product (unless they made an even better one 8n the last 3 years, but sold in the catalog for older (pre 14) models. Not sure about the trike thing but sounds like you got the right one
I'm sure that 10 years after his post, he's good.