Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed SE Compensator under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010 | 09:10 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
Was it a terrible roaring "dry bearing" sound when in neutral and clutch out? My money is on the inner clutch bearing and race. A buddy pulled in from Boston and his was OK with the clutch pulled in but in neutral and clutch out it sounded like it was coming apart!

Mark
Yep, mine was a terrible dry bearing sound, almost as if there was a loose bolt flopping around inside the tranny, but it was when the engine was pulling when the clutch was first engaging (and it was slipping, too).

If there's no ancillary damage, I'll be very happy! And, to the other poster, no I'm not looking for stealer to pay for an upgrade to SE components, but they should let me pay the price difference for the parts, and then do the install work under warranty (either way, they have to spend X hours to complete the install of parts).

Thanks all!

Old 08-23-2010 | 09:38 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jag1886
Good luck with your problem, I just don't understand why you and others think Harley should give you an upgrade part for no extra charge.
Don't think most of us are expecting a free upgrade; I know I'm not, though if this is in fact a nation-wide problem, maybe they should. At the very least, I should have the choice of paying the difference to the SE and Harley is saying 'no'. As I told my dealer, Harley is really good at taking in the dollars, and they are even better at not handing out the dollars. (Warranty)

Harley is also saying there are no issues with the stock compensator in the '07-'0-10 models. Anyone who has spent some time here in the Touring forum likely knows better.

Old 08-23-2010 | 09:54 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Default re

Man, I am just wondering if I need to go on and replace mine before it ever has the chance to fail. Does that sound stupid?

Old 08-23-2010 | 10:28 PM
arkeglide
Advanced

Does the 2010 Ultra Limited come with the standard or SE compensator?

Old 08-23-2010 | 10:32 PM
user 8373900
Banned

I don't believe they did. But a worthwhile upgrade.

Mark

Old 08-23-2010 | 11:08 PM
MNrider
Tourer

What are the symptoms of a compensator going bad?

Old 08-23-2010 | 11:40 PM
myred55
Road Master

Originally Posted by MNrider
Good question, I would like to know also.

Old 08-23-2010 | 11:42 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by arkeglide
Does the 2010 Ultra Limited come with the standard or SE compensator?
Will need an expert to weigh in, but it looks like it doesn't; went through the 2010-Model Tech Highlights and couldn't find a reference one way or the other and then looked in the P&A catolog and it doesn't state as standard equipment in the SE Compensator description. (2010 P&A states standard equipment on Trikes, 2011 P&A catolog states standard on all 2011 Touring and Trike models.)

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 08-24-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2010 | 06:34 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by MNrider

Generally it would be impossible to miss. Sounds like a box of loose nuts and bolts in the bottom of the engine. In my case, I had the compensator come loose on my 2003 Fatboy while on a long distance trip. Took it to a dealer nearby from when the sound started. Inspected the inside of the case around the compensator (marked up abit), retightened the compensator nut to the OEM torque specs and I was on my way. No harm no fuss (although it scared the bejeezus out of me while I was riding).

Never had an issue with it again.

Old 08-24-2010 | 10:27 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer

Originally Posted by jag1886
Good luck with your problem, I just don't understand why you and others think Harley should give you an upgrade part for no extra charge.
Because I think for the most part it has been proven that the OEM compensator is under designed for the job it needs to do. Hence all the knocking at start up and marbles in a jar sound running down the road. A night and day difference since I've had a SE compensator installed.

Quick Reply: Installed SE Compensator under warranty?