Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed SE Compensator under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010 | 06:57 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

Just speculation here, but I would think the demands of the trikes rear end, specifically it's traction capabilities, had Harley redesigning the comp for those models. It may be a much beefier unit then even the SE Comp?

Old 08-16-2010 | 07:32 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp

Hopefully the dealer will just charge you his cost of the diff between the OEM and the SE one. Shouldnt be over 100 bucks. Not worth getting your undies all balled up. Just tell him to do it. My friend had his upgraded when the OEM pooped out, the dealer was going to charge him 125 bucks but has not since billed him.

Old 08-16-2010 | 10:18 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Hopefully the dealer will just charge you his cost of the diff between the OEM and the SE one. Shouldnt be over 100 bucks. Not worth getting your undies all balled up. Just tell him to do it. My friend had his upgraded when the OEM pooped out, the dealer was going to charge him 125 bucks but has not since billed him.
The problem is that my dealer won't do it all, unless I pay the entire cost of replacing the OEM compensator. Dealer says that if Harley is picking up the labor costs, they HAVE to install the compensator that they are told to install, no switching, no upgrading. Period.

Still hoping someone can tell me: why does Harley say that I cannot have the SE, but they WILL install the compensator from the Tri-Glide, and yet the P&A Catolog states that the SE compensator is standard on the '0-10 and '0-11 Tri-Glides? Am I actually getting a SE compensator, maybe with a different part number, so Harley doesn't have a run on owners of '07-'0-10 owners wanting the SE? No clear answer or explaination so far...

Old 08-16-2010 | 10:53 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
The problem is that my dealer won't do it all, unless I pay the entire cost of replacing the OEM compensator. Dealer says that if Harley is picking up the labor costs, they HAVE to install the compensator that they are told to install, no switching, no upgrading. Period.

Still hoping someone can tell me: why does Harley say that I cannot have the SE, but they WILL install the compensator from the Tri-Glide, and yet the P&A Catolog states that the SE compensator is standard on the '0-10 and '0-11 Tri-Glides? Am I actually getting a SE compensator, maybe with a different part number, so Harley doesn't have a run on owners of '07-'0-10 owners wanting the SE? No clear answer or explaination so far...
If your dealer received permission from the Moco to install the SE Tri-Glide comp for free under warranty, have it done.
I don't see Harley maintaining 3 different compensators for their Touring bikes. Actually, they discontinued the basic one and install the SE one on all 2011 models so it must be the same, like the P&A catalogue says.
Ask him what part # he's going to install. I bet it's 40274-08 which is the SE one.
Why does he say you can't have the SE one? Cause he doesn't seem to have a clue what he's talking about. He wouldn't be the only dealer like that.

Old 08-16-2010 | 11:41 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Why does he say you can't have the SE one? Cause he doesn't seem to have a clue what he's talking about. He wouldn't be the only dealer like that.
Dealer is closed today, but going over tomorrow to verify the part number of the compensator that he already has permission to order. While I knew that the SE is standard in the 2011-model touring series when on the phone with him, it wasn't until later that I discovered the SE is 'standard in a Tri-Glide' and it was then that I started wondering what the heck is going on.

At this point, I can't fault the dealer, the information isn't off the cuff; when he called me, it was only after him contacting tech support three days prior, in dealing with my issue and concens. He tells me that it's tech support that has given him all this information and specific direction on what they can do.

Old 08-16-2010 | 02:35 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer

Richard, I think your dealer is blowing some smoke for some reason because when my compensator came apart on my bike a few months back my dealer replaced the OEM version with a SE version all under warranty. I was told specifically several times that the MOCO is making this the standard warranty on all bikes that need a compensator replacement due to the OEM version crapping out. I haven't had any problems sense. I've also read other posts that had the same thing done under warranty. I would think that the trike version is a SE so I wouldn't hesitate to go that route if that's what your dealer wants to do.

Old 08-23-2010 | 07:42 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

I think my compensator just blew up today... had to have bike towed to dealer this afternoon. Out of the blue, the lower engine started to make a hellacious noise... limped 1/2 mile to office and stopped bike.

Explained problem to dealer and his first comment was that it was probably the compensator. I will definitely look into this SE version and talk to dealer about it before letting them put anything else into the bike.

I'm worried that this might have damaged other internal parts. What else should I be asking here? Sorry, but I'm not mechanically inclined.

What pisses me off most is that the bike is only 2 months old, 5,500 miles and just got back from Sturgis (thank God it didn't blow up out there!). Also, just had the 5,000 mile service done by stealer last Friday (200 miles ago).

Thanks for all the great information here!

Old 08-23-2010 | 08:08 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member

Good luck with your problem, I just don't understand why you and others think Harley should give you an upgrade part for no extra charge.

Old 08-23-2010 | 08:31 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Originally Posted by Heatwave
FYI. The SE Compensator was standard equipment on the 2010 SE Ultra and SE Street Glide. It became standard on the non-CVO Touring bikes in 2011.
My 2010 Street Glide came with the SE compensator in it from the factory. When I did the stage II 103 kit I talked with the builder about the upgraded comp as part of the package and when he tore into the primary it was already installed.

Old 08-23-2010 | 08:42 PM
user 8373900
Banned

Was it a terrible roaring "dry bearing" sound when in neutral and clutch out? My money is on the inner clutch bearing and race. A buddy pulled in from Boston and his was OK with the clutch pulled in but in neutral and clutch out it sounded like it was coming apart!

Mark

Quick Reply: Installed SE Compensator under warranty?