Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Street Performance Slip-Ons = Remap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:23 PM
rangemaster
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SE Street Performance Slip-Ons = Remap?

I recently acquired a low-mileage 2008 FLHT (EG Standard)...

I added the removable passenger backrest and luggage rack, and changed out the headlamp for a PIAA 6000K, then ordered the halogen retrofit for the passing lamps.

Other than that, the bike is stock; now the muffler issue:

I'm looking at Harley p/n 80491-07 (SE Performance Slip-Ons) for a slightly different sound, but if I don't change the air cleaner (and make the Stage I jump), do I have to remap?

At this time I really don't want to change the whole exhaust/intake system (and there are loads of threads about this, with PCIIIs, etc.). I don't feel like spending $1000+ to change the whole system out this season.

I've looked at different slip-ons, and many indicate a remap is necessaet on the EFI touring bikes to keep from running even leaner(yes, I know about the EPA and their draconian restrictions on menufacturers).

The bike performs great (for me), just lookig for a little better exhaust note.

Anyone out there with a similar '08 EG (RG, SG, etc.) done this?

Thanks in advance for your input...

Old 08-15-2010, 01:36 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Just slip ons, no remap needed. A/C change, then you should remap

Old 08-15-2010, 01:43 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

I struggled with this same question for quite awhile. I don't know if it will "hurt" your bike just adding slip ons, but it's already LEAN, and I wonder if this would be a good thing to do. After reading a LOT of info about the Stage One, I went ahead and "did it". It cost me about $1100, but IMHO, it was worth it. And the main reason was the cooling effect it had on my engine. I used to get roasted thighs when I rode. When I first got my bike, I couldn't believe how HOT it got. If it was above 85 degrees outside, it was miserable to ride it! every time I stopped I thought I was gonna burn up before the light changed. All that heat cannot be good for an engine. Since I did the Stage One, my bike feels at least 50 degrees cooler. It went from HOT to mildly warm. I went with slip ons, a PCIII, and SE airbox. If I were you, I'd wait and do the whole thing. It is DEFINITELY worth it.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

If you think about it, by the time the fuel/air mix gets to the slip ons, it's already been burned and the exhaust pipe should not make any difference as far as rich or lean. Where it does affect a bike it in torque because of the scavenging or lack of scavenging characteristics of the pipes.

IMHO if you want the sound and can't afford or don't want to afford to do it all at once, then do the slip ons and get the sound you want, But I would not change the a/c unless you either do a remap or get a Power Commander or SERT to readjust the air fuel mix. You do run the risk of going too lean and frying a piston. Believe it or not, the fuel mixture in addition to being ignited, also provides some cooling to the piston.

Best of luck with your new muffs

Bub

Old 08-15-2010, 06:19 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your just looking for a nicer sound those are great slip on's. I have them on my 06 road king. If you decide to do the A/C change over. Dont waste your $$ on the HD download, just call Jamie at Fuelmoto and he will hook you up.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:30 PM
snistrflht
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran my se slipons for a yr then got an a/c and a pcv and wow nice difference,, pulls alot stronger now and seems like it opened the sound of the pipes up a little

Old 08-15-2010, 06:45 PM
roadkingbud
Novice

You can do slip-ons and the air intake up grade with out remaping. I did my Roadking and 25,000 miles with no problem what so ever. HD will always tell you it needs to be remapped, because it's all about the money. Also there are alot of better sounding slip-ons out there than screamin chickens and they are alot cheaper too,samson rolled thunder sound nice and deep if you want louder rineharts are the way to go,or vance and hines have a deep rumble. Good luck

Old 08-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkingbud
You can do slip-ons and the air intake up grade with out remaping. I did my Roadking and 25,000 miles with no problem what so ever.
Even the motorcycle magazines are all saying that now. For the 07 and newer bikes, as long as your O2 sensors are intact, your ECM will make adjustments for air cleaner and exhaust. The stage I download only raises the redline a bit. Of course, you'll still be running in the same lean condition unless you add fuel with some type of fuel tuning device.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:23 AM
randytro
Banned

Last edited by randytro; 08-15-2011 at 06:23 PM.