Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tire 3000 mile report

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:33 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Car tire 3000 mile report

Folks,

I just had posted a 2600 mile report on the Dark Side forum, but I have been ridin'!

This post is not intended to create friction with anybody, it is intended for the folks interested in doing the change. The original post "car tire on my Road King" has over 14,000 views, so there are at least some people that may get some benefit out of this. If you are anti-car tire and this makes you angry, just don't read the post.

I am running The Dunlop SP 5000 car tire on my Road King at 28 PSI. At this pressure, its a very soft ride, even on unpaved county roads. In 3,000 miles on this tire, I have gone over just about any kind of surface out there, including highway at sustained speeds over 80 MPH, twisty smooth roads, twisty bad roads, roads with gravel, sand, heavy downpours, and slow speed parking lot maneuvers.

The best part about using a car tire: A very forgiving nature. I can take the wrong line into a turn and simply ride it out, or I can change my line in the middle of the turn, smooth or bumpy. It also has more traction and "stickiness" than a motorcycle tire, and it made the rear brake very usable two up because of the traction, I can really get on the rear brake.

Last week I had a 500 mile day around the Central Texas to Dallas area zig-zagging through backroads, in temperatures over 100 degrees F, and the CT stays significantly cooler than my front MC radial. It stays cooler solo or two up. It still gets hot, but not uncomfortable to the touch.

Yesterday I went in a 250 mile group ride through the Texas Hill Country, around the Marble Falls area. We were hauling butt on the secondary roads, when somebody up front slowed down in the middle of an uphill, bumpy, blind turn. All this happened at about 60 MPH. I was leaning into the turn and I had to get my bike almost upright so I could brake a little and not run into the rider in front of me. Ordinarily, the suspension would have had a hard time absorbing those bumps and transitioning from leaning to upright to leaning again, but with the car tire at 28 PSI, it simply soaked up the bumps, I repositioned my bike on a different line, and that was that. No panic, no worries.

The tire is at it best on long, fast sweepers. I can take turns way faster than I ever did, raining or dry. I run over a 2X4 in one of those long sweepers, and it scared the daylights out of me, but the bike didn't loose composure. As I said before, it was never this stable, even when it was new.

The benefits are numerous: a better, softer ride, better braking, stability and traction in heavy downpours, higher load capacity, and did I mention the ride? lol.

The negatives. Folks, I had a brain cramp and I forgot to post the downside of using a car tire, at least on my experience.
Its not a motorcycle tire and it doesn't handle as such. There is a short learning curve, probably a few hours of riding time to get the feel of how it corners because it doesn't roll onto the sidewall like a MC tire. Instead, the sidewall on the inside of the turn flexes and most of the thread stays in contact with the pavement. You can see this even when the bike is on the sidestand, showing a little bulge on the inside. Another thing is that there is so much traction that it can take you by surprise, specially slowing down. It takes a little time to get used to these changes. (at least to me, but I am slow, lol)

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 08-15-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Mikind7
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What size and did it fit with no mods?

Old 08-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good report TooEasy, Thanks! I'm looking at tires for the future when I need a rear. I may have to change the wheels. My RK came with the upgraded wire wheels. He offered to swap with me, but didn't have anything that would fit. I've got ABS as well. Do you know of a tire I can run with a tube? Thanks again for keeping us informed. I'd like to know how many miles you will be able to get out of your CT. Thanks also for your service to our great Country...

Old 08-15-2010, 01:13 PM
true duals
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is a great post and subject, why would anyone be anti car tire if they have never tried and dont know the benefits? I am very intrigued about this seeing that my 06 S/G is ready for a new rear tire I have gotten 9300 miles on it and it is not bald but very close. I think one of the best things about C/T is the price and long gevity I am all about saving some cheese on my next tire, Ill be watching for updates

Old 08-15-2010, 01:20 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just curious. If there is no down side, why do they even make MC tires?

Old 08-15-2010, 01:42 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay...now, I'm a little upset. I have an 02 RKC and I know there's no way a car tire would work on the rear of my bike. I guess I'll keep changing my HD Dunlop 90B/16 every 8K miles!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:50 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Just curious. If there is no down side, why do they even make MC tires?

Because until recently, you had to do a lot of mods to get a CT on the back of a harley. Now, no big deal with the bigger rear tire.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:53 PM
isac
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up..Thanks

Old 08-15-2010, 02:52 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I would have known you were going ot be in the DFW area. I would have loved to meet up with you and check it out first hand. As you know from previous threads, I am a skeptic...but open-minded as well.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:21 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by lrays280z
Okay...now, I'm a little upset. I have an 02 RKC and I know there's no way a car tire would work on the rear of my bike. I guess I'll keep changing my HD Dunlop 90B/16 every 8K miles!
Ain't it the truth?!

You get 8K!!! ...........Best I can do is 6.

Quick Reply: Car tire 3000 mile report