Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I joined a new club

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 AM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I joined a new club

I turned the odo over 3,000 last week. Commuting really puts on the miles. I've only had my bike since the first week in June. Knowing I get to ride to work makes work a little more bearable.

I've also been able to get out on the weekends and ride the backroads of Northern Virginia. We've explored some really beautiful country roads. Hopefully, I'll get on Skyline Drive really soon. I've heard it is really nice.

Last week 5 of us from the neighborhood went for a little 100 mile jaunt. At one of our rest stops I blindly followed our fearless leader into a gravel parking lot. (Start cringing... you know what is about to happen...) Lead pulls out of a slight turn and stops. I'm still in my turn going ever so slowly but need to stop. I stop and put my foot down but I don't hit firm ground. I set it down very slowly on the gravel. At that instant I move from the "Those that Will Drop" to the "Those that Have Dropped" club. I've been riding for 5 years and that was a first. Damn.

Ah, such is life. Not happy about it but no big deal. No damage to the bike. No damage to me. Pick up the bike and keep going.

Ride safe.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:58 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

More like...ALWAYS could of been worse club...Glad it wasn't worse!!!.... A little pride hurt but pride can heal fast...after a few laughs!!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

That's what those crash bars are on there for....and yes everybody will do the "slow drop" sooner or later. I'm glad mine was in the garage with nobody around to see. hehehehe

Old 08-15-2010, 08:06 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first was on sidewalk in front of my house. Any neighbor who was watching had a nice show of me and then wife fighting the bike to pick it up. (That was before I learnede the proper RLAP technique of lifting a bagger).

Old 08-15-2010, 08:30 AM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Years ago when I had just got my Heritage I was turning around in the yard on a slanted hill, yep, I got off balance and tried to hold her up, threw my back out and had to let it lay down on the engine guard. Only damage was to my pride. It happens.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 AM
bbstacker70
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never stop or park on gravel ! I just know what will happen. Did the slow drop in my garage already, no repeats please.