Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take off parts price??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:44 AM
BLK08ROCKERC
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take off parts price??????

I'm going to be taking all the chrome off of the motor on my bike. These parts will only have about 100 miles on them how much do you think the stuff is worth. I'm removing all of it, outer primary included.

I'm also taking off the stock front end, front tire and wheel, engine guard, stock lower saddle bags. What it's worth.

Any insight you guys could provide would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:06 AM
pilgrim08
Tourer

Check ebay for comparison pricing.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 AM
streetglidin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably half cost of new parts

Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

With only 100-miles - these parts are gonna probably run ~30-40% discounted from new, but depends on how fast you want to move them. Agree w/comparison shopping on some of the auction sites (eBay, Craigslist, etc.) & you can always post at your local HD bulletin board too. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:09 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I generally keep all of my take-offs. This way when I trade bike in on new one (as I recently have done), I could bring it back to "stock form" and either transfer items to new bike or sell them off.

You'll make more $$$ on the aftermarket goods and the dealers will give you zero extra money for them if you trade with the items attaached to the bike.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 AM
BLK08ROCKERC
Road Captain

Thanks for the replies guys! If i can get half I would be happy enough.

You make a good point Tx-skydiver but I usually go a different direction on the next bike.

I thought about having these parts powder coated black and then selling them, seeing how popular the black stuff has gotten. What do you all think about that?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 AM
inverse121
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I just paid a total of $200 total for take off chrome rocker boxes, cam cover, outer primary cover (with derby and inspection covers). All were taken off when new. You aren't going to recuperate much.

You can probably pick up the stuff off a FLHT for cheap, then have it powdercoated yourself and save a bunch of dollars. If you wait until winter and can live with the down time, maybe a forum member with a late model FLHT would be willing to do some horsetrading with you and you can both end up ahead.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 AM
BLK08ROCKERC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by inverse121
I just paid a total of $200 total for take off chrome rocker boxes, cam cover, outer primary cover (with derby and inspection covers). All were taken off when new. You aren't going to recuperate much.

You can probably pick up the stuff off a FLHT for cheap, then have it powdercoated yourself and save a bunch of dollars. If you wait until winter and can live with the down time, maybe a forum member with a late model FLHT would be willing to do some horsetrading with you and you can both end up ahead.
That would be the best way to it, but I'm impatient. I went ahead and ordered the gloss black set from Harley.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
I generally keep all of my take-offs. This way when I trade bike in on new one (as I recently have done), I could bring it back to "stock form" and either transfer items to new bike or sell them off.

You'll make more $$$ on the aftermarket goods and the dealers will give you zero extra money for them if you trade with the items attaached to the bike.

Find out real quick when you put a ton of money in mods, then find that the market is not the quickest on purchases that you want to trade in, then you get 0$'s for the thousands and thousands you spent in rims, shocks, odds & ends add on's, etc. Went to a dealer and watched them look right in the book and give me the price listed. When the book also says "expect 10-30% more for add-on parts".

Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 AM
BLK08ROCKERC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Brettcr

Find out real quick when you put a ton of money in mods, then find that the market is not the quickest on purchases that you want to trade in, then you get 0$'s for the thousands and thousands you spent in rims, shocks, odds & ends add on's, etc. Went to a dealer and watched them look right in the book and give me the price listed. When the book also says "expect 10-30% more for add-on parts".
Oh yea I'm very familiar with that. I just don't see myself pulling all the black off of the motor, forks, and everywhere else. I also plan on keeping this bike. By the time I'm ready for a new bike the wife and I will be done with school and much better off financially. So I plan on keeping this one and buying another.

Quick Reply: Take off parts price??????