Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were an HD salesperson.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Halecky Knives
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess it depends on the dealership, I bought my new bike (2010 roadglide) at a different dealer not a local one because my local dealers suck. I barely want to get parts from them.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:22 PM
mja52403
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danmo....just another classic story about what goes on at that dealership. I hope its not just my experiences there, but I have heard stories like that from more and more people. Just a sad way to run a business if you ask me. What also surprises me is how friendly the sales staff was at their sister store 30 minutes north a few weeks ago when I stopped in...just a totally different atmosphere.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:23 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't waste another minute in that dealership. It's been my experience that good people hire good people, and vice versa. The owner of that dealership must be a real jewel - or he's a 'hands off' kind of owner, which would make him clueless and best.

Last edited by FLHTCU Owner; 08-16-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

When I was "looking" for my streetglide I went to a dealear about 5 miles from my house. They weren't overly nice but they were ok once they saw I was interested. They let me test ride the bike. All I got from them was "isn't that the greatest ride ever"! I was coming from a very different ride, reallly low, forward controles etc... Unfortunately the sales guy didn't know much about street glides. He couldn't even close the bags. I left loving the look of the streetglide but hating the wind and the seating position plus something was not right with the bike I test rode, it was just really slow. I decided it was not the bike for me. Fast foward a month. I'm in Dallas at Dallas HD in Garland, just looking and killing time. Sales guy nice but not pushy. Shows me the bike I wind up buying. When I talk about my issues, he puts me on a used bike with highway pegs, lower seat and taller windshield. I buy the bike in my sig pic. Knowing your product is a big deal! They didn't come off the price but cut the shippping and prep, threw in a 4 pt docking mount, passenger backrest and luggage rack. Then delivered it to my house in Houston for free.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:50 PM
TheDon81
Tourer

I agree with most of all these post, my Local dealer Sheldons Harley, do not listen to there customers, they just want to get you in the door to give them there deal and don't care what deal you're looking for.

I guess it my fault as I went up to the salesmen and asked if they were discounting leftovers.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:02 PM
mike1158
Road Master

Originally Posted by SamStone
The dealer near me is a ghost town. They are down to one salesman, one parts guy and a couple of mechanics. They have a huge mortgage on the huge building that Harley made them build and the only business they are getting is service and wrecks. They will try to sell a bike to your grandmother if she walks in.
This is one point that i'd like to make...i see a big problem coming..... Back when everyone was fat and happy about 10 years ago..HD pushed for these big MegaMall style dealerships...... now things are not so good and word on the street is production is being cut back big time due to slow sales AND an effort to "restore exclusivity to the brand".. SO how many dealerships have 30,000 SF facilities that are going to soon be supplied with a "limited" amount of new bikes to sell? Kinda tough to change with the tide like that...I'm glad I'm not a dealership owner with a huge shiney new building with a big mortgage and big utiltiy bills..and BIG CORPORATE telling me "we're cutting back"

Anyway...that's a little off track...
Here's my experience with dealers...
There used to be a dealer so close to my house i could walk there.... big MEgaMall type shop...was in there 3 times... like a morge...and the owner was a total TOOL BAG..some old nerdy guy..that called me "fella"...probably couldn't fall off a bike, let alone ride one..... told me he wanted 10% cut to sell my bike on consignment...yeah...uhhh..they went out of business a year ago..
There was another dealer about 25 minutes away...NICE people...small building...real Mom & Pop style dealer. Same location for over 50 years.
Owners wanted to retire... tried to find a buyer for the business.. found one.. HD corporate told them they couldn't stay in the "small" building. They even tried to make a deal to move into the EMPTY Megamall delaership by me that closed a year ago...HD corp. still turned them down. They were told HD wants to close 300 dealers worldwide.
SO now i have to cross state lines and go about 30 minutes away to go to another MegaMall stlyle dealer. I was in there the other day. Looking at the touring bikes... asked salesman if they had any 2011s...he said "i think so" WHAT !?!?!?!?! anyway.... he then said "yeah, i think we do have a few".... he then said "i saw the new superlow sportster back there..i can take you in back to see it if you want"...yeah, i wanna look at an 883 sportster thats why i'm over in the Touring section.....DUDE????
Then he added "you know what they are actually putting together the new ELECTRA glide model right now...i think its an Ultra?? I said.."you mean the new Road GLide Ultra?"... he said "oh yeah, thats it"

Moral: if you are gonna sell something... KNOW WHAT THE F**K YOU"RE TALKING ABOUT !!!!!!

i can't believe with all the dealers closing around me...there are still bad salesman walking the floors....

Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 PM
mja52403
Cruiser

I'm am completely amazed at the number of responses to this thread. I was only stating my mind and turns out others have similar experiences with other dealers. This thread was based mostly on the experience I get at the local dealer. If you wanted one thing from your dealer what would be highest priority? Friendliness? Knowledge? Prices? Store "wow" factor? Other? Just curious what makes one dealer better than the other.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:04 PM
johnu
Cruiser

Originally Posted by danmo
my uncle who was interested in an 02 Electraglide classic I believe and was talking to a salesperson and asked what he could get for his bike on trade in and they guy actually said to him "Is it really worth my time to look?"
What an idiot.....perfect buying opportunity to sit your uncle down find out what he wants to spend to trade up. I've heard that place isn't doing too hot ...(but then again who is)...their choice of sales talent is sure letting them down but rest assured he will not be around long.... that guy will be stocking oil at Walmart down the street as soon as they hire again.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:52 AM
dll
Advanced

I travel a great deal for work and have some ridiculous stories from the 25 or so dealerships.

HD sells a premium product at a premium price, but the total experience particularly as it relates to the dealer is poor to say the least. if you could get the HD folks to visit a lexus dealer (I don't like the cars personally, but the dealership experience is second to none) they'd learn what it means to provide a premium experience for their customers.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:12 PM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate my local dealer!!!!!! Bunch of idiots. The words "customer service" are not in their vocabulary. Typical mega store attitude.

Quick Reply: If you were an HD salesperson.....