Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were an HD salesperson.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 03:36 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think I have been to that dealer...but Destination Daytona in Ormond Beach Floridas....yep, they will say HI to you alright.
I am there every Sunday...just looking, people watching, have a beer at the
Saints and Sinners Pub.
I am asked several times if I 'can be helped". I simply say, "I am not buying today,
but if I have any questions...who are you?" By then, the sales guy sometimes
recognises me...and says...."Hey! Nice to see you again." Otherwise I get "My name is "XXXXX", let me know if I help."
I was there today, getting a new tire on my '04...was asked a couple times if I needed anything.
"New back tire." I replied. One guy said, "Buy a new bike, get two new tires included."
Sorry your nearby dealer has poor sales reps.

chuck the mensh

Old 08-15-2010, 04:27 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lama
Dealerships: Salesmen, Sales Managers, Service Departments, Parts Departments...etc. are a complete insult to my intelligence.

These people combined with the next visit to DMV to get the thing registered is the most awful part of buying any new vehicle.

The entire process is archiac.

Reality: Let me build the bike I want online using the spec sheet the manufacturer will allow, have it deivered to my house fully legal to operate in my State, I will supply you with the funds, credentials and insurance statement.

Hell, I bought my HOUSE that way.

I don't need to "test ride" a *****ing bike, I always modify it to my needs anyway.

BTW....HD salesmen are 98% of the time complete idiots.
So if I decided to start selling Harleys id be one too ? Ive never liked the way a lot of dealerships do business as for not approaching customers.. I would and id make them know I am there and available but I wouldnt push myself on them.. And yes I ride and love Harleys...

Old 08-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Dionicio,

Please read post number 7

Old 08-16-2010, 05:42 AM
chrome spoke
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDGM
The dealer I bought my 05 from, has only one salesman and he don't deal for ****. I gave him a cash price offer and he turned me down, the sales manager said yes. I haven't been back in that dealership since the oil change I had done after putting 5000 miles on the bikes, and walked out after writing a check for 400.00+ for a new rear tire,etc. The owners of that dealership own another one close to where I live now and it is like a completely different company. They are friendly and helpful.
When I was learning to be a salesman, I read a book by a gentleman who was the #1 car salesman in Detroit(according to Guniness)his number one rule was the rule of 200. Every person knows at least 200 other people and if you are treated fairly or badly and let those 200 know, and they pass it on. Before long you are screwed. I was in sales for 20 years and always tried to treat my customers as I wanted to be treated. I think the salesman at most HD dealers are decent folks, just a few bad apples and the whole basket gets smelly.
I did ask the local dealer for a part time sales job just to see if I could still sell(been out of it for 20 yrs), actually agreed to work for commission only. He turned me down, said the other salesman would bitch.

Joe
OUCH, if you cant sell yourself you cant sell anything. Get back in there, explain to him why they will be bitchin. When the hot chick comes in and they have got ther tongues drooling on there ---(use your own adjective). You have made the sale to the man with half his asscrack showing, and his belly rolled over his britches,and some kind of lingering smell filling the air.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:01 AM
col_kurtz
Advanced

The original post describes Palm Beach Harley as well. I haven't set foot in there in 3 years. I've hgad decent luck with the Rossmeyer dealerships, I like the one in Pompano. In fact I'll drive down to Broward from Palm Beach County rather than deal with PBHD.

Last edited by col_kurtz; 08-16-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:21 AM
hcubed
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
Well I go to both of San Diego Harley’s stores. The guys there are great and their women are effing smoking, all of them. Kat downtown, total hottie and Summers at the Clairmonte store… wow! They are real cool almost everyone knows your name. the Salesmen aren’t too pushy, they let you walk around and then always ask if you need help finding anything. I don't know where you live, but if you are ever in San Diego, stop by.
Dude,
You forgot to mention the Saturday barbeques!
Every Saturday (weather permitting) "New York Mike" (Mike Shelby, owner) would host a gathering for all area bikers, regardless of brand loyalty in front of his Kearny Mesa (Clairmont) store. There is usually a band to listen to, fresh cooked cheezeburgers, hiot dogs, natchos, baked beans and soft drinks...all you can eat! The day these photos were taken I counted 93 parked bikes, not including the ones coming ang going!
Some people even drop by in cages to see what's going on.
Now that I live in Central Fl., I miss the Saturday gathering at SDHD.

Attached Thumbnails If you were an HD salesperson.....-sd-hd-3.jpg   If you were an HD salesperson.....-sd-hd-4.jpg   If you were an HD salesperson.....-sd-hd-1.jpg  
Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've 'bought' four bikes from my local dealer, and can say that I've never been 'sold' any of them. Over an eight year period, never had the same salesperson twice, they were 'gone' before my next purchase. (In '02, '03', '06 and '09.)

Another complaint of mine: seems like the typical salesperson I've come across isn't a salesperson at all; more like an order taker, with very limited product knowledge, other than the whatever the 'hot buttons are' for the new models. They never seem to know much about any Harley that's more than a couple of years old and can't sell against whatever the competition might be, say BMW or Victory in particular. Even a Goldwing, you don't get much more than 'that's an oldman's bike, more like a car' type stuff.

I spent 12 years in the automobile business, and always took pride in not only knowing my product line, but all the competition, so I could sell the potential buyer on why my vehicle was the better one to buy.

At Harley, I get "here's a brochure, don't sit on anything unless you ask, let me know if you want to order 'sum-thin'... don't forget to check out our new t-shirts."

I think I know why some Harley dealers are getting leveled in this economy; their business plan is based too much on the 'Harley mystique and Harley boutique' and their real salespeople work at the parts and service counters, not the showroom floor.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

Originally Posted by cmhfguy
What most sales people (of ANY kind of product, not just bikes) don't realize is .. the first thing they have to sell is themselves. Only then will the product sell. Simple, eh?
Very true. When I bought my new truck last year, I really liked the salesman. Very knowledgeable, where most didn't seem to know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. Will I look him up the next time I go for a new truck? You betcha!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:38 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mja52403, I assume you are talking about the dealership right in La Crosse?

Funny story, my parents, 2 uncle and aunt were in there on Saturday since it was around where they were staying for the night and my uncle who was interested in an 02 Electraglide classic I believe and was talking to a salesperson and asked what he could get for his bike on trade in and they guy actually said to him "Is it really worth my time to look?" He also wouldn't get any info on the bike or the price as the way I was told he spent more time saying how he didn't want to get it than if he had just gotten the info. They very well could have missed out on a sale of bike. And ironically the bike had a dead battery on the floor too.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No issues with my local dealer although my wife says she deosn't like the motor clothes girls. She says they don't really seem customer friendly. If you ask them a question they'll help you, but the don't go out of thier way to "see" if you need help. She says when she goes into other dealers the people seem to go out of thier way to see if you need help.

Quick Reply: If you were an HD salesperson.....