Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were an HD salesperson.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lama
Dealerships: Salesmen, Sales Managers, Service Departments, Parts Departments...etc. are a complete insult to my intelligence.

These people combined with the next visit to DMV to get the thing registered is the most awful part of buying any new vehicle.

The entire process is archiac.

Reality: Let me build the bike I want online using the spec sheet the manufacturer will allow, have it deivered to my house fully legal to operate in my State, I will supply you with the funds, credentials and insurance statement.

Hell, I bought my HOUSE that way.

I don't need to "test ride" a *****ing bike, I always modify it to my needs anyway.

BTW....HD salesmen are 98% of the time complete idiots.
is the air rare up where you are?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Bear_925
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lama
Dealerships: Salesmen, Sales Managers, Service Departments, Parts Departments...etc. are a complete insult to my intelligence.

These people combined with the next visit to DMV to get the thing registered is the most awful part of buying any new vehicle.

The entire process is archiac.

Reality: Let me build the bike I want online using the spec sheet the manufacturer will allow, have it deivered to my house fully legal to operate in my State, I will supply you with the funds, credentials and insurance statement.

Hell, I bought my HOUSE that way.

I don't need to "test ride" a *****ing bike, I always modify it to my needs anyway.

BTW....HD salesmen are 98% of the time complete idiots.
I hope theres some sarcasm in there...senior rider huh? well anyway my thought is you get treated by the dealer the way you treat them, if you walk in and you already don't trust them then they will treat you the same.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 AM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
is the air rare up where you are?
Ok WO.

Last edited by Lama; 08-15-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:53 AM
chrome spoke
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bear_925
I hope theres some sarcasm in there...senior rider huh? well anyway my thought is you get treated by the dealer the way you treat them, if you walk in and you already don't trust them then they will treat you the same.
Well,.... I can only imagine what you gave for your bike.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,129 Likes on 3,661 Posts

It doesn't take a freaking degree to sell a HD...People that want to buy them will buy them...just be nice and helpful and act like you want their business....

Old 08-15-2010, 07:02 AM
mja52403
Cruiser

Wow, I'm amazed! I posted this before going to bed last night, got up this morning and now 3 pages of replies! I must have picked a sensitive subject.

This local dealer I've noticed has had a turnover of salesmen recently. But still, none of them have any real personality. Like one reply mentioned, they seem like they want you to approach them with your check book open.

I did have my 5K service done recently at this dealer and of course I had an issue. They had found a few service codes and told me that they were likely caused by the pcIII I installed two years ago. They said, "disconnect it and the codes will likely go away." Yea right. So, I take the bike home after putting $320 in the collection basket for the 5K service and I do the work myself. Hell, I installed the handlbars, pcIII, exhaust, etc. myself, so maybe I can find the problem. Lone behold, I had a wire that was cut inside of the headlight that turned out to by one of wires for the throttle control. So, in the end it cost me $2 for a new wire splice and now no more codes. It felt good to have figured it out on my own and not pay them the diagnose and fix the problem.

Back to the dealership discussion....
I just don't see how in these economic times, how your customer service can be so poor that you just sit back and let the customer come to you. The dealer that I have purchased my two bikes from I make it to a few times a year and I still get the same friendly greeting every time, and not just from the salesperson that sold me the bikes, but everyone at that store at least says hi. They know that if you want to talk, that you will. The dealership where I've purchased my bikes from has maybe two sales people on the floor at one time, and I think their finance guy also works sales, so maybe three. And that particular dealer is in a city of almost 50,000 more people than our local dealer. The local dealer may have 5 or 6 salesmen at any one time on the floor. And most of the time, two or three of them are talking to each other and not customers....go figure.

I had typed a huge paragraph about the idea of lowering bike prices, but that's another subject that others can post as I have my own ideas on the "ideal" business model for a dealership but that's for another day.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 AM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mja52403
Ok, so I thought I would stop in and take a look at the 2011 models today since I heard they had a few. Well, to do that meant I had to take my 8 month old and 3 year old daughters with me....something to do on a Saturday morning right? Anyway, this particular dealer is local and I haven't purchased a bike from them. Instead I have gone to a dealer about 75 miles away to purchase both of our bikes....reason you ask? Well, the whole atmosphere of the dealer in general is way more friendly and they are willing to negotiate. So, anyway, back to our little trip today. I go in with my girls, and yea, I have shorts and sandals on, but not one person said a word to me. This is the whole reason I stay away from this dealership. Just seems like the salesmen only talk to their buddies and won't give you the time of day. So maybe I didn't "look" like I was interested in buying, but maybe I was and wouldn't you at least say hi to anyone who comes into your store? So as I was browsing over the SE Street Glide they had (suweeet by the way) I say to the salesman, "so this one is sold already?" His response was merely, "yup" and he walked away. Not, "yea, but we have others coming in or what are you looking for?"

I don't know how dealerships like this survive. What if I was interested in purchasing? I can tell you I will likely not be going to that dealer to buy....yet again. Just very sad if you ask me. Other dealerships I go to, the sales people are always very friendly, but never pushy, like some car salesmen. I guess that's all I ask for. Oh yea, you might be thinking, "why should they spend their busy schedule with someone with his hands full that doesn't look like he is buying?" Well, this was right after they opened and we were the only ones there....and I think I counted 4 salesmen purely standing around looking out the window.

Just my little rant for today, but that's ok since I know where to go for better customer service.
The absolute best way to handle that situation is if you buy from another dealer is to ride your new scoot up to the front door of the offending dealership, find the sales manager or preferably the owner, point to your new ride and TELL him why you didn't buy from them!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Yachtman
Sales People: you get what you pay for. I know I could be top salesperson at our local HD, but they couldn't afford to pay me any real money. Plus I hate the dark shirts and long pants all the time. And every Sunday would be difficult. I know the management think it's the money day, but it's also the 'kickers-from-out-of-state-buying-t-shirts' day! And my time is more valueable. And I don't smoke so I doubt I'd be hired anyway.!!!
Ain't that the truth. hahahahahahahaha Our service counter and parts guys take so many smoke breaks it's hard to tell how many people even work there.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:45 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master

What most sales people (of ANY kind of product, not just bikes) don't realize is .. the first thing they have to sell is themselves. Only then will the product sell. Simple, eh?

Old 08-15-2010, 07:46 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I hope to retire next spring and would really like to give bike sales a try. Meet and great and let them look. Answer their questions and suggest based on their answers. Won't push an Ultra if they really want a Classic. If they're interested in buying, do what management allows to seal a deal. Thank them for stopping in.

Quick Reply: If you were an HD salesperson.....