Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:38 PM
despurlock
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race tuner

Was looking to get input on purchasing a race tuner for an 08 Ultra. I would like to get something that I could use my self and not have to depend on the dealer all the time. Hopefully you folks can give me some input on what to look for.

Thanks
Dave

Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

man thats a big topic! Start with the search function on this site and compair. Some have various switches that set a map for the engine some you hook your bike up to your computer and load a map leavin no little box to stuff under the seat. then there is the "do I need to dyno it" question. Do some homework first. There is all the info and then some on this site in the arcives! good luck.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:19 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the following; 2008 road glide. with the following stage one set up, screaming eagle compact heavy breather, screaming eagle performance touring mufflers, screaming eagle pro race tuner. bike was dyno'd at a local dealer runs great.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 PM
despurlock
Advanced

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:21 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTS mastertune. Better than the SEPST. I would know I have a SEPST and after seeing a mates TTS software I wish I bought TTS...

Old 08-15-2010, 05:53 AM
db2753
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TTS, is easy to install, at least it was for my 16 year old son. Have not had it Dyno'd, and it runs great for me and still get 41 mpg.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:00 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

I have an 08 (Obviously) running the Arlen Ess stage 1 AC, Rinehart 2-1 and a Power Commander V... One Map but has ability to run two that are switchable on the fly.

My set up rich to run cool. I get an average of 42mpg and on the highway yesterday I got 48.4 mpg. Thats some good stuff there..

P.S. Mine was also tuned on a dyno.

Last edited by RFG7680; 08-15-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Lass7711
Tourer

There are a few really nice products out there that offer the capability to adjust, tweak, dyno, etc., etc. With the right help and enough money, you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of whatever mechanical setup you have.

I'm in the group of people that wanted to open up my bike a little with a new air cleaner & pipes without having it put on a dyno. I wanted a fuel injection module that I could install and (assuming the bike ran to suit me) leave alone. That's just me.

I dealt with Fuel Moto for the AC, pipes, and the module. They gave me a map to match my setup and I am happy with it. I'm sure there are other companies out there that you could work with, but I dealt with Fuel Moto and I got exactly what I wanted.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:56 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that if you do want to have the bike dynoed or do not have a good dyno person around and want to do the work yourself then go contact the guys at Fuel Moto. They have their act together when it comes to mapping the PCV for the set ups. They have a wealth of knowledge that they openingly share.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:08 AM
08Blackultra
6th Gear

As others have said, there are a number ways to go. I suppose its all in what you can afford and what your trying to accomplish.
I have a 08 ultra and opted for the ThunderMax TBW. Pretty easy install, although you have to replace your ECM with the TM and install the dual band Thundermax sensors. Loaded with a map Jamie from Fuel Moto installed, the bike started up and ran pretty good. With a laptop attached, the software allows you to change values to tweek the basic map. After a few runs the auto tuner functions allows you to upgrade the basic map with the values it has used to attain a chosen AFR. Took a run yesterday to Jim Thorpe Pa (about a 180 mile round trip) bike ran strong. What I like about the TM is, if you make further changes to the scoot, cams, true duals etc. You just load another map that is close to your config and auto tune does the rest. Might not be as good as a dyno, I will leave that discussion to the pro's, but so far I am impressed with the TM.
Good luck with your choice, ride safe and ride often.
J

Quick Reply: Race tuner