Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just another oil pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:00 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default just another oil pressure question

Ok, I have seen some dumb questions on this forum before and am hoping you guys can put up with maybe one more - Hope I have used up my quota yet!
So, we have 2010 SG that was in need of oil change and we decided to do it ourselves - please for go the lecture about 1000 mile service being done at dealer-new bike and hubby out of work means we do what we have to do. Oh yeah, by the way, we don't have the service manual.
So, after changing to SE Syn, we noticed that even though oil pressure remains at about 32-34 psi while riding, at idle, it drops to practically nothing. This is not something we noticed before the oil change. Oil is full and nothing is leaking anywhere.
Any help you can give us would help. We're not new riders by a long shot but we're still a bit new at this self mechanic crap. Some help for us new armchair mechanics please??

Old 08-14-2010, 07:08 PM
jimsuver
Supporter

My 07 only gets to 32 when cold, about 30 moving hot and like yours almost nothing hot at idle. I think unless you have a cooler most will be about the same.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:11 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

Was hoping that was normal. Never had an oil pressure gauge on our bikes before and didn't really notice it before we attempted our first oil change. Now, of course, paranoia sets in and we check it over and over and start seeing problems that aren't really there. Thanks

Old 08-14-2010, 07:13 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing to worry about. Thats normal to show almost no pressure at idle, and 30-35 PSI at speed is normal.

The bike only takes 3.5-3.8 quarts. Oil should only be half way up the dipstick when cold. DO NOT OVER FILL thinking you need to add oil when the engine appears to be warm.......HALF WAY ON THE DIP STICK COLD or you will overfill !!!

I prefer Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil in all three holes.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Conehead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed mine was doing the same thing today after my 5000 mile oil change. Normal!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:20 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsuver
My 07 only gets to 32 when cold, about 30 moving hot and like yours almost nothing hot at idle. I think unless you have a cooler most will be about the same.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:25 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SteveO
Nothing to worry about. Thats normal to show almost no pressure at idle, and 30-35 PSI at speed is normal.

The bike only takes 3.5-3.8 quarts. Oil should only be half way up the dipstick when cold. DO NOT OVER FILL thinking you need to add oil when the engine appears to be warm.......HALF WAY ON THE DIP STICK COLD or you will overfill !!!

I prefer Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil in all three holes.
I also run only amsoil in all 3 holes in my bobber but hubby has his own preferences and does his own thing.
It's nice to know we did ok. Thanks for the info. No more dealer mechanics for me - do it yourself is the only way to go!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Big Daddy FLHX
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additional oil help...

No attempt to hijack this thread....

I have a 2010 Street Glide that was running 300 degrees on the digital dipstick today during a traffic jam.

Does anyone know what the running temp is for a 2010 FLHX, 103 running syn3???

What are others running at??

Thanks in advance

Old 08-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a hijacked thread to me!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:11 AM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
Ok, I have seen some dumb questions on this forum before and am hoping you guys can put up with maybe one more - Hope I have used up my quota yet!
So, we have 2010 SG that was in need of oil change and we decided to do it ourselves - please for go the lecture about 1000 mile service being done at dealer-new bike and hubby out of work means we do what we have to do. Oh yeah, by the way, we don't have the service manual.
So, after changing to SE Syn, we noticed that even though oil pressure remains at about 32-34 psi while riding, at idle, it drops to practically nothing. This is not something we noticed before the oil change. Oil is full and nothing is leaking anywhere.
Any help you can give us would help. We're not new riders by a long shot but we're still a bit new at this self mechanic crap. Some help for us new armchair mechanics please??
I'm using Mobil 1 VT 20-50 and when the oil is hot I see 12 psi at idle which is no different from when I used the HD 20-50 conventional oil.

Quick Reply: just another oil pressure question