Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wobble - tire worn?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:23 AM
NCTim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wobble - tire worn?

My 08 Ultra has 16k on the original D402F front tire. In the past few weeks, I've been feeling an unsettling front-end wobble on sweeping turns. It seems to be getting worse. I've been checking the forums and will check the neck and wheel bearings if necessary, but do I just need a new tire? There is tread left on it, and I can't see any cupping, but maybe it's my inexperienced eye. Any tips on what I might see on the tire that would cause this?

Old 08-14-2010, 09:36 AM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If the tire is getting squared off it will act funny on the turns cause its tryin to run on that edge...that was the case with my rear tire anyways. Replaced and as good as ever now.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:56 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never experienced that with a front tire. Rear yes. If you run the palm of your hand around your tire in both directions you should feel it if there is cupping. 16k is pretty normal on a front tire. I streatchd mine to 25k but probably shouldnt have.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:42 AM
gm9
Cruiser

[quote=hover;7143009]If the tire is getting squared off it will act funny on the turns cause its tryin to run on that edge...quote]

I think the front tire wears differently from the back (unless you ride in a straight line all the time). My tire, with 14,000 on it, has worn some on the outer edges, If you look closely, you'll notice the center two treads are considerably higher than the other outer treads. My guess is you're losing traction slightly in the curves causing the wobble. I"d recommend you replace the tire.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:03 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you check your air pressure fairly often, chances are you've been running on a low front tire. Airing it up may fix your issue.
I can't tell you how many bikes come in the shop that have 15 - 17 p.s.i. front and rear because they don't check a.p. and don't bring their bike in for every oil change.
A lot of people will argue that a stock Dunlop should be run at max air pressure in the 40 lb area (Dunlop's own website recommends it - of course they are in the business of selling tires) but in our shop the front tire gets 30 - 32 and the rear gets 32 for guys up to 200lbs and 34 -35 for folks that ride two-up or are over 200lbs.

I've seen a lot of front tires last 28k on baggers we maintain .

The following users liked this post:
N1265 (06-02-2023)
Old 08-15-2010, 12:27 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the 407 had issues but haven't heard of issue with 402. get down even with your tire and look straight across the top and see if the front or rear of each section is even. or is one end lower right behind the higher side? ditto on 40 lbs. weigh 265 and run 38-40 on front and 40 on rear. need to check weekly. remember, it's YOUR *** out there....ride safe

Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

Recommended replacement is 2/32nds tread depth. 14000 is great mileage on a tire. Take it to any shop and get the tread depth measured if you do not have a gauge. They should not charge you for this.
I just replaced my front at 13k and I was approaching the 2/32nds mark. I could feel the handling issues you speak of and after the new tire install all was good.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

I had some minor head shake on my RG it started at about 10000 mi and was noticeable around 30 mph if I temporarily removed my hands from the handle bars. Installed new front tire at 19000 mi and problem went away. The tire looked good as new.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having the exact same issue develop over the last 1k miles or so. Even had it at the dealer to do a quick test ride. Occasionally feels like riding "tar snakes" on curves (where there are no tar snakes).

*They* didn't even suggest a new tire (the tread is fine), but I think I'm going to replace this one pretty quick... Around 15k on it. I understand the new ones (with the new formulation) are wonderful...

Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 PM
teach
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tire has a small arrow on the sidewall near where the wear bars are placed inside the tread. See if you are down to the wear bars. Just a little heads up, dual compound tires. The center and farthest outside tread areas can look just fine and you may still need a new tire. Looking at the tire from the front, look at the tire about 1 1/2 inch to each side of center where the compound is the softest and where you ride the most on curvy roads. My guess is if you are squirming you are down too low in this area of the tire.
Hope this helps......

Quick Reply: Front wobble - tire worn?