Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make sure you get a second opinion before the warrantee expires

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 PM
boston138
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make sure you get a second opinion before the warrantee expires

I'll try to make this long story as short as I can. I live in Canada and last winter my wife and I decided to spend 4 months in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas and I took my 08 Ultra Classic which was still under warrantee until May 31/2010. Around Feb 15/10 I decided to have my bike checked at Rio Grande Valley Harley Davidson because it developed a rattling primary chain noise which to me sounded like the Primary Adjuster Problem. The bike had about 10,000 miles on it and I was about to take a 2000 mile trip to Big Bend and Back and wanted it checked before I left. The service manage had a mechanic take the bike for a ride and the mechanic reported back to me that there was no unusual noise comming from the primary. I suggested that he should have his hearing checked cause all my biking friends could hear it. The bottom line is that I've put on another 10,000 miles since that time without any problem except the primary chain noise. I finally had it checked out last week back in Canada by a well respected repair shop because I was tired of hearing this noise and always careful not to rev the engine for fear of damage. It turned out that the primary chain was the culprit. 7 links were very loose and as the chain turned you could see the top part become tight and loose between the sprokets which we feel made the rattling noise. $400 repair bill fixed the problem and of course no warrantee and I doubt if I'll be reimbursed. I'll be more careful next time not to let the warrantee pass me by.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boston138
I'll try to make this long story as short as I can. I live in Canada and last winter my wife and I decided to spend 4 months in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas and I took my 08 Ultra Classic which was still under warrantee until May 31/2010. Around Feb 15/10 I decided to have my bike checked at Rio Grande Valley Harley Davidson because it developed a rattling primary chain noise which to me sounded like the Primary Adjuster Problem. The bike had about 10,000 miles on it and I was about to take a 2000 mile trip to Big Bend and Back and wanted it checked before I left. The service manage had a mechanic take the bike for a ride and the mechanic reported back to me that there was no unusual noise comming from the primary. I suggested that he should have his hearing checked cause all my biking friends could hear it. The bottom line is that I've put on another 10,000 miles since that time without any problem except the primary chain noise. I finally had it checked out last week back in Canada by a well respected repair shop because I was tired of hearing this noise and always careful not to rev the engine for fear of damage. It turned out that the primary chain was the culprit. 7 links were very loose and as the chain turned you could see the top part become tight and loose between the sprokets which we feel made the rattling noise. $400 repair bill fixed the problem and of course no warrantee and I doubt if I'll be reimbursed. I'll be more careful next time not to let the warrantee pass me by.
That doesn't surprise me about that dealership. There are a couple of good mechanics there but it's hard to get to one.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:43 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Been thinking about this some. Getting close on the end of my ESP or whatever it's called. When I had my inner fairing painted and installed, the installer (not a dealer) changed one bracket and said showed me another one that was breaking. And then I've wondered about the tensioner, and just wonder if the dealer would check these things before the warranty expires. I mean, they get paid either, right? Not as much, I'm sure - but relationships with the customer ought to count for something.

So maybe I need the dealer to give me a "second opinion" on that fairing bracket and see what they do.