Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 09 FLHX, first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:04 AM
chipishere
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New to me 09 FLHX, first impressions

Went into Gruene Harley to get an oil filter, left with a 09 Street Glide. Red Hot Sunglow, 2300 miles, stage 1, cruise, alarm and a painted inner fairing. Added a sundowner and backrest to keep the wife comfortable and the nagging to a minimum. All because I made the fatal mistake of riding a buddies 2010 Sreet Glide earlier in the day. I have been kicking around the idea of a newer bike for a while now and after a short ride on his, I was sold. I just didn't plan on finding one that day.

Haven't had a chance to ride it much, (about 150 miles) but here's my first impressions for anyone else considering something simular.

Handles WAY better than my 01 RKC and that is the number one reason I traded. The Road King was pretty scary in long sweeping curves sometimes, and lane changes over the crown in the road were always an adventure. I won't even talk about rain grooves.

The stereo is going to take a little getting used to. I have been riding for years with ear buds and an iPod, somehow the stereo and the wind noise is just annoying to me. Maybe some better speakers and ear plugs would help.

Not sure if it is something wrong with the "fly-by-wire" throttle or if it's just me, but maintaining a low speed, like 25 mph, is impossible. I bounce back and forth between 22 and 28. Gonna ride my buddies 2010 again to see if I have the same problem.

It is definately a more "refined" Harley. Engine is smoother and quieter. The new mounts are amazing. I do not miss the teeth rattling shake at every stop light.

I thought the full fairing would bother me, but it doesn't. Really don't notice it is there at all until you look to check your speed or something. The 4" deflector that came with it is useless, borrowed the stock shield from a buddies CVO Ultra which is right at 10" tall. I felt like it was about 1/2" too high for me (I'm 5' 10"), so I ordered a 9" with a recurve from Long Ride Shields, which I have read good reviews of here on the forum. It hasn't arrived yet, but I am sure it will be perfect. Anyway, with the taller shield, the full fairing definately has better wind protection than the RK shield. Way less buffeting.

The ride is a little rougher/stiffer, but nothing I can't live with. Did I mention that it handles WAY beter.

I wear reading glasses, the gauges are a little difficult for me to see. Especially at night when they are lit up and my eyes are tired. The red lighting of the radio, makes it impossible to see at night. Anyone know if there is a way to change the radio background color?

The brakes are great, you can really stop the thing in a hurry. The rear peddlle is farther forward, took a few stops to get used to it, but now that I have, I like the position better.

The six speed is nice. Sixth really is useless below about 70, but at least your not "looking for another gear" at 65, even when your in fifth. First gear is a little tall, first few left turns I overshot my line a couple of times, speed comes on quick with it. Because you really have get the rpm's up a little to keep from stalling it. So you have to learn to slip the clutch a little more to keep it from running away from you. Parking lot manuevers take a lot more clutch slipping. Cruising down the interstate at 75 in sixth, cruise control set, is just a pleasure. I see some long distance rides in my future.

Thats all that comes to mind at the moment. While I will miss the Road King, it was my first Harley, the Street Glide will work just fine. I really only have one major complaint, the slip ons the previous owner chose, suck. I don't know what they are, but they sound like one big long fart going down the highway. Should have kept my Rineharts, but they were black and I think chrome will look better on the Street Glide. I'm sure the wife will understand.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing...I'm probably going to be going into my first Harley when I get back from the desert in the fall. I was debating between the RK and SG and decided on the RK.

I imagine that the new frame design is the number one reason it handles better than an 01 RK. I expect a 2011 RK to handle just as well.

Like anything else that is new I expect somewhat of a learning curve while getting used to a new bike...I bet that the things that you are noticing now will become old hat or normal as you put more miles on the bike.

I know when I traded in my CBR 600 F4i for the VTX I looked like Pee Wee Herman leaving the dealership trying to get used to the heel toe shifter etc...lol I was thinking oh oh what have I done? After a day of riding it all felt very natural to me....

And I might add you are a brave soul riding around the San Antonio area....the loop is crazy!! lol

Good luck with the new ride

Dawg

Old 08-13-2010, 05:26 AM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the SG.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:17 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,353 Likes on 22,641 Posts

I love my 09. I made the same mistake last year. Rode a bud's 09 and had to have one. Just put an oil cooler on it the other day. They run hot.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:27 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I did a similar thing. Rode into the dealer to get the 5,000 mile service on the Road King and rode out with a 2010 Street Glide. You're going to love it.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats! It is a keeper :-)

Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 AM
alphadog001
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

Congtrats on the 09, I know I love mine.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Tombstone66
Novice

Congrats! I love my 2010 FLHX!