Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big bore or cams???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:39 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TMair
Ok I have an 88, do you know what the numbers are for that?
THanks
Terry
Sorry my bad, I get stuck on what I have sometimes.

The only chart the book shows for an 88 is with the 95 kit with 203 cams and it is quite an impressive upgrade.
I don't know a thing about the 88 so I'll shut up.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:47 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

From the seat of the pants , there isn't a big difference between the 88" and 96" . I know that has some to do with gearing , but also , some to do with emissions too .

Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Reverend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now here's a question, then..

I have a stock FLHTK Ultra Ltd, which is of course 103ci. In the best value performance stakes, what order does the team think I should take with the 103 to get more performance?

I'm guessing from the posts above, I'd be best in this order:-

a - SE Cams, then
b - de-restrict intake side with free flow air filter, with exhaust side comprising of freer breathing slip-on's (my choice on noise alone would be SE stuff), plus remapping of ECU, then
c - replacement heads to match.

Would this be about right?

What ball park output figures would go with all this?

Hmmmm...

Old 08-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Reverend
Tourer

At what point does the catalytic converter get binned??

Old 08-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Harleyridingfool
Intermediate
Default Ball park numbers

Originally Posted by Reverend
Now here's a question, then..

I have a stock FLHTK Ultra Ltd, which is of course 103ci. In the best value performance stakes, what order does the team think I should take with the 103 to get more performance?

I'm guessing from the posts above, I'd be best in this order:-

a - SE Cams, then
b - de-restrict intake side with free flow air filter, with exhaust side comprising of freer breathing slip-on's (my choice on noise alone would be SE stuff), plus remapping of ECU, then
c - replacement heads to match.

Would this be about right?

What ball park output figures would go with all this?

Hmmmm...
My 09 Street Glide was upgraded to a 103 motor with Screamin Eagle Ported Heads, 255 cams, SE Heavy Breather, and Race Tuner. Dyno results 93.3 HP and 101 FP Torque. (All done by previous owner, thank you very much!) It does have the stock header pipes on it and Vance & Hines Monster Ovals. A good 2 into 1 would probably increase those numbers but I prefer the quieter sound of these. Does anyone know if changing the header pipe would produce a big difference in power?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cams all the way....

Old 08-13-2010, 08:26 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike is stock with the exception of the SE255 cams, just turning 65 hp but between 2500 to 3500 I have 85 lbs of torque. If I ever have to go into the motor for anything then I will have the 103 installed with some head work......

Old 08-13-2010, 09:00 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
The reason that cams are such a big boost is that the stock cams completely strangle the motor in the name of emissions. If you look at the specs for the stock cams in the 96 motors, the intake valve opens 8* after the exhaust valve closes. That's so no unburned fuel can escape along with the spent gasses. Good for emissions, lousy for power production. A performance cam will have some overlap built in. This allows the exiting gasses to help pull in the incoming fuel/air mix in a siphon effect. A little bit of overlap, as well as a little more duration can do wonders for a stock motor, even if there's no other changes made.

Having said that, I'm a huge fan of increasing displacement whenever possible. An increase in displacement will increase torque across the board in roughly direct proportion to the size of the displacement increase. So, a displacement increase of 10% will return an increase of torque of roughly 10%. With HD motors, the big bore kits involve changing jugs and pistons, but leaving the heads alone. This increases swept volume, as you're now pushing more air into the same size combustion chamber. The net effect of that is an increase in compression of about a half point. Increases in displacement and in compression will both lead to a performance boost.

IMO, the biggest reason there's little perceived difference between a stock 96 and a stock 103 is because they use the same stock cams, which very effectively strangle the motors. Once you start adding performance parts, especially cams, the difference in the motors becomes more apparant.
Plus 1 on this advice.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:04 AM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boog dude nailed it. Cams first, then displacement. NO engine works to it's capacity until it flows enough air and fuel.

I did the cams first, and the cam plate upgrade to get rid of the crap spring tensioners. I found a great deal on a SE big bore kit that had silver cylinders. A simple paint job fixed that right up, and I now have a properly fed engine and more displacement and am VERRRRY pleased with it. No idea the hp/torque numbers, but my butt dyno is happy every ride I take.

Do the cams straight away and big bore if funds permit.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 AM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps I need to clarify, I did the big bore concurrent with the cams....found the BB kit while I had the bike down for the cams. So, I don't have an incremental power improvement report for you. I went from stock 88" with opened up mufflers, Ness breather, and PC III, to cams, BB and modified PC III program for the new upgrades.

Quick Reply: Big bore or cams???