Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide vs Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:17 PM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 09 SG and love it, but I was told by many that the RG is the more sophisticated design from an engineering standpoint. Hanging the fairing on the frame rather than the fork makes for better handling and stability.

BUT you have to live with the looks of the Road Glide, and I couldn't do that...

Ride them both and enjoy your choice.

Last edited by ShooterSteve1953; 11-07-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 PM
SquireJim
Intermediate
Cool Roadie vs Street Glide

So...While this conversation may have been about more differences other than the fairing pre-2010, the 2010 FLTRX (Road Glide Custom) has had a few changes vs 2009...Most noticeably, with the lowered rear suspension, bigger front wheel, and reworked rear fender and lights, it is now EXACTLY the same bike as the Street Glide with the exception of the fairing...RG=Frame-Mounted vs SG=Fork-Mounted...As to the comments about the RG being tossed in the wind at highway speeds? Must have been the rental in question rather than the RG itself...Think about it: wind hits fork-mounted fairing, wind torques bars...wind hits frame mounted fairing: if it's a strong enough gust ya may feel it, but it ain't gonna torque the bars...No such issue on my 2010 RG...Hope that helps!

Attached Thumbnails  Road Glide vs Street Glide-img_0865.jpg  
Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an Ultra and a Road Glide. After one ride on the RG, I told my buddy that I'd probably never ride the Ultra again. I was right. Seven months later, it's time to sell the Ultra.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain

Love the ride of my Ultra... have ridden it in 50+ mph winds and never felt unstable. Look thru the forums and you'll find a lot of negative comments on RG AND SG buffeting. Some of it is the shorter windshields allowing wind to hit the helmut/head. Some can be corrected by putting lowers or air guards on the RG.

My stock seat is SOOO comfortable on the Ultra. As the others have said, each person has different riding styles and different views on looks. You need to ride both to make your decision. You may also want to ride the EG or Ultra. Those have much better suspensions than the SG. The Ultra also has the lowers, so that blocks a lot of buffeting and is much nicer in cool weather. The 07 and up bikes have louvers to allow cooling. I took mine off the first summer I had the Ultra because my wife complained about heat. The real culpit was not the lowers, but the elephant ears on the fairing. I put the louvers one on the bike and have not had the need to remove my lowers.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:13 PM
blueride
Tourer

Originally Posted by meveratt
Here's another point that you rarely hear about. Mileage. My buddy has a EG Ultra, and I have a Road Glide. We're both tall guys, so we both have tall shields. Weight on the loaded bikes was similar, and we were both one-up, no trailers or anything.

On a recent 6000km trip, he was always putting in more gas than me. At one stop, 350km from the last fill, I put in 4.7 gallons, and he put in 5.7. The most obvious factor seems to be the slope of the windshield: a slippery fairing and laid back shield on the RG, versus a fairly upright fairing and shield on the Ultra. Park them side by side and look at the difference.

Your numbers may vary.
Better aerodynamics on the roadglide means better mpg's, stability and comfort on the long haul.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SquireJim
So...While this conversation may have been about more differences other than the fairing pre-2010, the 2010 FLTRX (Road Glide Custom) has had a few changes vs 2009...Most noticeably, with the lowered rear suspension, bigger front wheel, and reworked rear fender and lights, it is now EXACTLY the same bike as the Street Glide with the exception of the fairing...RG=Frame-Mounted vs SG=Fork-Mounted...As to the comments about the RG being tossed in the wind at highway speeds? Must have been the rental in question rather than the RG itself...Think about it: wind hits fork-mounted fairing, wind torques bars...wind hits frame mounted fairing: if it's a strong enough gust ya may feel it, but it ain't gonna torque the bars...No such issue on my 2010 RG...Hope that helps!

That is a sharp looking scoot. Ultra tour pak looks good on there. And your daughter? looks pretty happy on the back.

BTW what shield is that???

Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

Speakin for myself my RG is much more stable on the highway than my wifes Roadking Classic. Rain grooves and turbulence from big rigs & large RV's seem to upset the EG's & RK's a lot more than the RG. They all have their pluses imho.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:37 AM
SquireJim
Intermediate
Default Thanks...

Originally Posted by Garemlin
That is a sharp looking scoot. Ultra tour pak looks good on there. And your daughter? looks pretty happy on the back.

BTW what shield is that???

Thanks! My last ride was a 1600cc Suzuki Marauder...Nice enough bike, but the passenger seat was truly a "b*tch"-seat...No way for her to ride back there...The Ultra Tour Pack gives her (and my wife) the "secure" feeling they need to feel good back there...The fisrt time I had Sara (my daughter) riding with me, all I could hear behind me was her screaming, "WOO-HOO!!!" for pretty much the whole ride...BTW, the screen is a KlockWerks 13" tinted screen...Ride on!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by madmustang4
from the standpoint of ride and performance, what is the differnce between the two, or is there any difference?
Is the street glide better for both in town and on the road riding?
Apples to apples.... there ain't SPIT difference between a street glide, and a road glide, regarding "performance" so long as each bike is in the same tune.
same engine, transmission,and frame.

2009 and earlier, the SG was lower than the RG. The RG has cruise, while the SG doesn't.

2010 SG and RG share the "slammed " look, and neither have cruise (OEM)

The only difference is the Fairing.... one is close in, and the other isn't. Regarding the "horrendous feeling". I have no idea. The first time I appproached an 18 wheeler, I was impressed by how little effect the turbulance had on the RG.

You really do need to rent both bikes and see what tickles YOUR fancy. in MY opinion, the 2010 OEM shiel is neigh worthless, but I've read some folks LOVE them.... it really boils down to your reaction.

edited to add: oh yeah... and I usually get better mileage out of a tank, compared to my "bat wing" friends (ymmv)

Last edited by skootchnc; 02-18-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RG, SG, Ultra, FB, WG, Sporty,VRod.... They have 2 wheels and I love them all for what they are designed to do.

Enjoy what you have and spend time renting a few for any of the bikes if your buying one.

Ride safe and have fun.

Quick Reply: Road Glide vs Street Glide