Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wearing headphones

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 AM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default wearing headphones

I told a buddy I would start a thread on this and show him what was said.

He says Im nuts for wearing headphones when I ride. My point is this. I feel that when someone is riding it's more of a visual thing vs a hearing thing when It comes to watching out for yourself. I tell him If I hear tires locking up and they have me in there sights it's to late anyway.In town the volume is down providing more of a back ground sound and I can still hear traffic,sirens yadda ,yadda. On the highway i crank it up but can still hear my bike.

so, what do you'all think ?

Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I say its more dangerous. I often "miss" the car in my blind spot that may have entered the freeway just behind me than all of a sudden he is passing me. I first realize he is there because I can hear the slight wind disturbance of the vehicle. I look in my miorror and nothing. I turn my head and there he is...right in my blind spot.

Sorry. I know alot of us use them but for me...no.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM
sh57
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear them all the time and I don't think I miss hearing anything. I keep the volume down enough so that I can still hear what is going on around me. On the other hand, the world could explode and my wife would never hear it she keeps hers so loud.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
ToXiK
Cruiser

Music just makes me spaceoff...but, it doesn't take much for that to happen so as for myself..I can't do it..way to many cars trying to hit me..

Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
KING'S RIDE
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I never used to ride with them. but last week i went for a little cruise and had them on. i can still hear my bike, and some sound around me. don't think i am in any worse a position than before.

don't think i will ride without them again.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:00 AM
karate joe
Advanced

I tried wearing them but the wind noise was way to loud with them on. I am getting a different style and try again.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

riding it's more of a visual thing vs a hearing thing when It comes to watching out for yourself
Yes it is more visual, but why use that as an excuse?
Steering is more effective at avoiding accidents than braking is but would you not use your brakes and rely solely on steering for all situations?

Honestly I don't care what you do. If you want to wear headphones then that is your choice. I don't know why you need to justify your choices to others. IMO it really isn't much different than having a stereo cranked up or a minivan filled with screaming kids.

BTW: It may be illegal to wear headphones while operating a vehicle in some states.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not much diffenrence to having your stereo on as long as the headphone volume isn't high enough to cover traffic noise.
At the level I hear some of the MC and cage stereo's blasting I kinda wonder if they can hear anything at all...

Not thinking it's legal to wear headphones in NY while driving/riding though.

Personally the last thing I want to do on a bike is numb my sense of hearing for safety's sake.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 AM
jackja25
Road Captain

I wear a fullface helmet, which really blocks a lot of the noise and also ear plugs. Most of the time the music/talk show is just filling background noise. I dont care if you wear earphones, earplugs, full helmet or none at all. You the motorcyclist always have to be on the defensive. IMHO

Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

some states its illegal to ride with headphones over/in both ears. I know in Maryland it is. However, i must say that i do it every now and then. Check you laws in case you get stopped, you can work up a good defense to the LEO. Either way, you have to be constantly aware of whats going on around you. Be safe.

cass

Quick Reply: wearing headphones