Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wearing headphones

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:58 PM
mailmanhugh
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like just about everything else in life it's a matter of risk assessment and then deciding if the "reward" is worth the risk. Risk of no helmet=head split open if you crash. "Reward" is the wind in your face and freedom of not having a helmet. Risk of crossing the street without a crosswalk=getting hit. "Reward" is getting across the street quicker than walking down to the corner. Risk of wearing headphones=reduced situational awareness. "Reward" is listening to something besides the wind and the sound of your engine. Risk of speeding=getting a ticket or having an accident. "Reward" is getting there sooner and maybe having a little more thrill while doing so.

Personally I have assessed the risk of riding with headphones and decided the reward was worth the risk. That's all we can do. Each person has to make that decision for himself and be willing to live with the possible consequences.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:05 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I wear ear-plugs a lot and I listen to my I-touch through my SCALA and I listen to my I-Touch with earbuds. I don't have the volume very loud and still hear everything around me. Ride in traffic to and fro...never really had problems with situational awareness.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:27 PM
SoCal_Will
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always have headphones on and have never had any issues.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Saint666
Tourer

I use them in long hightway rides,,Riding with the headphones around the city makes me very nervous!! too many cars too many people making too many stupid moves!..

Old 08-12-2010, 04:58 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the radio around town, but I love my plugs on the highway. Quiet music has to be better for my ears than the buffeting I get when I wear my FF lid..... that and it helps keep me awake for those longer highway slogs.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

You only have to watch shoppers in a mall with their headphones on. They haven't a clue what is going on around them! I wouldn't ride with headphones. I use earplugs to protect my hearing and cut out wind noise, but otherwise like to know what is going on around me. Besides my V-twin plays all the music I need to hear!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:03 PM
TXRDR
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wear S-Plug phones (they block outside noise) when on highway trips. Otherwise I wear ear plugs. When riding with a group, I stick with ear plugs, because I can talk with the other riders at stop lights.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:20 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

I normally wear earplugs at interstate speeds.
So I tapped into the headset circuit and installed a 3.5mm female jack in the inner fairing so that I can use my Dr Beats earbuds.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear ear plugs with my IPod. Actually feel more relaxed when riding. Does not take away anything for about being alert to my surroundings. You're not nuts. It makes the ride more enjoyable sometimes.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:34 PM
flyer91
Tourer

I just bought a set of blue tooth stereo headphones that have an "open mic" feature that allows you to tap a button and have the outside conversation with a buddy, or the sounds of the road, wind, and motor feed right into the headphones in hi-fidelity but at the volume you define.

It uses a Bluetooth dongle that plugs into any 3.5mm ear bud/headset, so my Nuvi 855 GPS/MP3 is now totally wireless.

It's a Plantronics 906 Back Beat (by Altech Lansing) $68 at Amazon.
Or of you already have a Bluetooth device the 903 @ $42.
Both will also pair with, and control your blue tooth cell phone.

See http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Ba.../dp/B001TK3ACA

They are actually a cross between headphones and earbuds.

As far as safe ........ I'll worry about it when studies say it's enough of a hazard for new laws making it illegal for the hearing impaired to drive, and force all mfg's of full face helmets to have amplification systems in them.

But then ..... I think some "pinball wizzards" might believe they need to be abe to ride by sense of smell, to feel safe...........

Last edited by flyer91; 08-12-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply: wearing headphones