Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wearing headphones

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM
TVil
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm neither here nor there about this topic. I have riden with my earbuds in but I never felt that comfortable with it.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:31 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd start singing and the dogs would start howling....
Then I would get pulled over for violating the noise ordinance.
Not pretty.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 AM
dakajun
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only way I listen to music while riding is through my headset. No distraction to what's going on around me at all.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:03 PM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One of my buddies rides with headphones on. So does his wife on the back. I think its annoying and dangerous for a few reasons.
Its annoying because they spend lots of time searching for songs on their IPODS while we are waiting for them to take off.
Its annoying because when you roll up on them you can't talk because they can't hear you.
Its dangerous because many times they are flipping around the IPOD songs while driving. Also, they aren't aware of any sounds like screaching tires or somebody yelling that one of their bike parts is falling off or they have a bubble in their tire or anything like that.
Its dangerous because they can't hear their own bike. What if something mechanically bad started to happen. Usually, the first thing you notice is what it sounds like.
It should be illegal but then again... helmets aren't mandatory in Connecticut so what the heck.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You can do what you want, personally I think it is somewhat a safety issue, but to each his own, we all do things that are more or less safe than others. We even live to tell about it, go figure. I ride to get away from all the normal stuff that is in a day, music included. I'll take the sound of the wind and the V-twin over anything else.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 PM
drbald1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my tunes. I don't listen when I'm riding with buddies around town or to the local bike night...we talk at the lights. But on the road or going to work, I listen all the time.

I'm not any more distracted than when I'm in the car. I make playlists so I don't have to fiddle with stuff while riding (THAT I don't do!), and I can still hear cars, sirens, etc.

+1 on checking the local laws!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Got me thinking...

I wouldn't wear a helmet if I didn't have to
I split lanes (when I'm pissed)
But I won't listen to tunes while riding.

See what NY does to people?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
bldap
Tourer

Wear them at times and don't think I'm giving up any ability to hear things around me. Normally have the stereo blasting when not wearing the headphones anyways.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:21 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I used to wear them all the time before I got my Street Glide. I could still hear the traffic around me and any horns or sirens. I feel that I stayed more alert while listening to music than when not (tend to space out on longer rides without music).

Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 PM
LansingX
Intermediate

Nope. Never have and do not plan to. I like hearing the sounds of the wind and motor, especially the motor. Like mentioned earlier, if something starts to go wrong you will usually hear it first. I know plenty of people who do wear earphones and have had no issues. I can't say I like the idea, but if you are one of those who really keeps a careful eye on what's happening all around you then I say go for it.

Quick Reply: wearing headphones