Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accessory fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 AM
harleycax
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accessory fuse

I wonder where to find placement for ACCESSORY fuse on a ultra classic 1990 got problems with turning signals left side is turned on all the time and the right side is working sometimes,when i press both turn signalbuttons together nothing happens,i´m not to good on electrical failure search,so any help is appreciated.Thanx in advance

Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't had any electrical problems as of yet but I would check for a blown bulb to start out. When one goes it messes with the others. At least on cages anyway...

What makes you think the accessory fuse is involved?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 AM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try reading the error message in Diagnostics. The Forum has a lot of write ups as to how to do it and what the errors read. A burned out bulb will show up as will a "power to ground" short. If a fuse is blown, I don't see how any of the signals would light but a dead bulb could make it partially work.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:34 PM
harleycax
3rd Gear

it can´t be a dead bulb because i´ve got light on all 4 turn signal lamps when they work...someone on this forum suggested the accessory fuse could cause this problem..

Old 08-11-2010, 02:57 PM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1st.. there is no diagnostics on a 1990 Ultra. The turn signal flashers are electronically controlled. There is no normal flasher either. Most likely you have a bad bulb or dirty socket issue. Remove all of your bulbs and make sure both contacts on the bulbs are good both on the bulbs themselves and the sockets. Put some dialectric grease on them while your at it and reinstall. Most likely you have a bad bulb or socket contact. It has nothing to do with your accessory fuse because you don't have one. You have an accessory relay/breaker which is under the fairing. This is a auto resetting component. There is an accessory fuse under the clutch side, side cover but that is for the CB and the intercom. The only other traditional fuse is the power fuse for your radio which is inline under the fairing.
I would bet its a bad bulb or a dirty contact. One bad bulb or dirty contact will do exactly what you are talking about.
BTW.. I have a 1990 Ultra too. I have been through every inch of the electrical system.
If you need any other help let me know. I have some questions for you too.
john G

Old 08-11-2010, 03:25 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

a shorted bulb or dirty socket could cause this. but it sounds like a shorted wire..or flasher unit

Old 08-11-2010, 04:05 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to "dig-in" to find out.
Can't do it from here....

Old 08-11-2010, 04:09 PM
mblack7787
Novice

Originally Posted by harleycax
I wonder where to find placement for ACCESSORY fuse on a ultra classic 1990 got problems with turning signals left side is turned on all the time and the right side is working sometimes,when i press both turn signalbuttons together nothing happens,i´m not to good on electrical failure search,so any help is appreciated.Thanx in advance
Harleycax, you definately have a fuse issue. You are correct, it is the ACCESSORY fuse. Where it is located on your paticular model< I am not sure. had the same thing happen to me recently on my 07 EG. Definately not a bulb issue, most likely not a short unless you have done some type of work to cause. Do yourself a favor and check the ACC fuse.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:25 PM
harleycax
3rd Gear

thanx for all help i will change the bulbs and clean the sockets.John G if you have any questions i´m willing to help you out.I´ve been riding shovels before so i´m pretty new to cruise control cb radio and stuff..i´ll be back

Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 PM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
a shorted bulb or dirty socket could cause this. but it sounds like a shorted wire..or flasher unit
There is no flasher unit on a 1990 FLHTCU.

Quick Reply: accessory fuse