Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Removal Opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010 | 08:05 AM
jgcable
|
Road Master
Default Trunk Removal Opinions...

1990 FLHTCU. Totally stock. Although my wife loves the backrest on the tourpack trunk I am thinking about doing the following purely for asthetics...

Removing the CB and replacing it with that really nice factory cover plate that says Ultra Classic on the bottom of it.
Removing the factory antenna and installing a underfairing antenna.
Removing the tour pack trunk and installing a nice padded passenger sissy bar and luggage rack. The rear speakers don't work anyway. Actually, I don't even listen to the radio when I ride.
Removing the front tourpack just so I can get more air on my legs. I don't really ride when its colder than 60 degrees so having all this wind protection isn't necessary for me.
I would also like to extend the floor boards and I can't do it with the tour pack on.

Is there anybody here with pics of an Ultra Classic modded like this?
I know its my bike and I can do what I want but is it "against the rules" to do something like this.

Old 08-11-2010 | 08:23 AM
cajunfla
Tourer

Keep the tourpak....get a new bike to go under it.

JK Rule #1 - there are NO RULES.

As you say, it's yours, do what YOU want to it. Or at least what the wife will let you. My wife made me add that last part.

Old 08-11-2010 | 08:23 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master

It's YOUR bike...do what YOU like with it. I wasn't aware of any 'rules'! Don't go worrying about what other riders think!!
What you are describing is a basic ElectraGlide Standard.

Old 08-11-2010 | 08:39 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

This is what I used on my 92 Classic. The rack bolted on the deck and could take the Pad off for cleaner look when OL wasn't rideing, not detachable though since you have the rear deck always on.

Last edited by gmc; 08-11-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-11-2010 | 09:37 AM
jgcable
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by gmc
This is what I used on my 92 Classic. The rack bolted on the deck and could take the Pad off for cleaner look when OL wasn't rideing, not detachable though since you have the rear deck always on.

Bingo!!! Thats what I want. Can you tell me where you got that rack and pad from and what the part #'s are. That would be perfect. Thanks.. John G

Old 08-11-2010 | 09:45 AM
silverbullitt
Road Captain

I have one of those racks hanging in my shop. Want it?

Old 08-11-2010 | 10:19 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jgcable
Bingo!!! Thats what I want. Can you tell me where you got that rack and pad from and what the part #'s are. That would be perfect. Thanks.. John G
Looks like SilverB can hook you up w rack but here's the # 52548-87B is the Pillow Look Pad and 53405-87B is the luggage Rack. Your parts guy can check nationally if any dealer still has one in stock. Not sure if they can still be ordered. I kept mine and got the detachable rack set up for the 07 and bolted the 92 rack on it since I put the tour pak back on 92 when I sold it. I don't know if they had detachable stuff for your 90 or if you can order it. I went with solo seat on 07 but had stock seat on 92 for 175K miles so I didn't mind the look w rack only on.

Old 08-11-2010 | 10:26 AM
silverbullitt
Road Captain

PM me if you want it. It is not perfect. No dents, etc. Finish isnt that great anymore. Maybe have to be rechromed. I don't think you can buy a new one anymore. Pay for the shipping, and it is yours.

Old 08-11-2010 | 11:02 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

can't beat that deal.

Old 08-11-2010 | 11:07 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

It's always recommended to keep in mine that it's important to keep your passenger comfortable and happy. If you want to be doing a lot of solo riding, just mount a backrest that she doesn't like so you can make your scoot look better.

Quick Reply: Trunk Removal Opinions...