Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deploying again and need to store bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Fill your gas tank and use stabil, change your oil, put it on a battery tender and it will be fine.

Thanks for serving your country. It seems that there are so many that don't nowdays.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

Hey brother, I'm right there with you and will be deploying to Bahrain for 7 months next June. The last time I deployed I put my Softail in one of these:

http://www.carbag.com/buy/moto_jacket.html

This thing is awesome. The main thing is you need to keep your bike indoors. They recommend covering it with a soft sheet prior to zipping the bag around it. Give it a good wash 24 hours prior and ensure it's totally dry before storing. The bag comes with a measured amount of dessicant absorbent that keep the humidity away for a very long time. When you unzip your scoot it will look like the day you left it. I also put fuel stabil in the tank to keep the gas from getting nasty. Just follow the directions that come with the bag and your Road King will be just as beautiful as the day you left her.

Last edited by Navy Mustang; 08-11-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to run the engine during the storage. In fact, I wouldn't do it at all, unless it will be ridden for at least a half hour. There is great advice being given here in this thread.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

my bike sits in the garage for 4-5 mounths every winter. no cover covers can hold moisture and give mice a place to hide and can rub paint. stabile in a full tank of gas and a battery tender.just need to wash the dust of and its ready to go.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Pelaez
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thanks for the advice, the offers and the good vibes. I am already beginning to dread the thought of being without my ride for so long, but the good news is that when I come back I'll have some extra cash to buy her some shinies!

Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thank you for your service!!!!!!2nd put fuel stabilizer in the tank and run it for 5 minutes then put rags in the exhaust pipes and remove the a/c and put a rag in the throttlebody then plug the vent house on the transmission.Put it on a lift and then put a batterytender on it.When you get back it will be good to go,once again thank you.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:25 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont really have anything to add to all the good advice that has already been given, but I do thank you for service and wish you a speedy and healthy return, God bless.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:44 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default +1!!!!

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
Dont really have anything to add to all the good advice that has already been given, but I do thank you for service and wish you a speedy and healthy return, God bless.
Thank you very much and stay safe over there!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:36 PM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm a Navy mom and when my son goes off for deployment I am planning on keeping his
Yamaha R6 in my garage...yes next to my Road King
He is out on the Nimitz now but not on a deployment.

Thank you for your service and be safe over there. You have already been given tons of good advise and offers....God Bless you!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Pelaez
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Nimitz is crazy famous and I hope they enjoy their time aboard. Also, I think yoru Road king is dead sexy and I hope to see it on the streets when I do my ABC's of Touring after my deployment. (new port richey is on my planned route)

Last edited by Pelaez; 08-11-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Deploying again and need to store bike