Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 street glide dies ?? need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010 | 01:34 PM
78USMCrider
|
Stage III
Default 07 street glide dies ?? need some help.

Hi all, I was on a poker run this weekend and about 40 miles in to it, going down the road about 30/35 MPH, my bike died. I made it to the side, and was able to get it started back up. Then at the end of the ride, it died again in the parking lot. Now I had topped off that morning, Slightly over filled the tank. No more then I have done in the past. It happened as I had the clutch lever pulled in and working the trottle. I took a look at the ground wires, all was good. The HD service department told me to unplug the line going to the charcol filter, which I did. bike made it home just fine, rode the next day fine too. Hooked up the lines that night and took it to work yesterday, on the way home it died again. same way! HD told me to blow out the canister, said fuel may come out!?! 42K miles on the bike.

Has anyone had this problem before, or heard of it? Thanks
John

Old 08-10-2010 | 07:57 PM
det199
Advanced

John, just got done doing a1400 mile Michigan UP trip and my 07 SG started to die when I came to a stop. I could feel it starting to die while rolling to a stop and if I played withe the gas I could sometimes keep it running. After about 300 miles it quite doing it and idlled fine the rest of the way home. Did a search on the forum and it may be the Idle air control motor! Don't know if this is your problem, or the same symptoms but you might want to check it out. Good luck,
Mark

Old 08-10-2010 | 08:02 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Are you losing electrical power when it dies?

Old 08-10-2010 | 08:23 PM
Goodtimes07
Intermediate

i think 2 different problems have been described above, i have experanced both , I am going to look at my air idel control

Old 08-11-2010 | 01:13 AM
78USMCrider
|
Stage III

Det, I'm not sure what or where my Idle air control motor is or what it does?!? sorry i'm the new guy on the road. yesterday when it wanted it die I was at a light. The 1st time I was riding down the road. I have the stage one kit one the bike. and just a few weeks ago added the K&N air filter, but I really doubt that would affect anything.
Stro, no I had no loss of electrical power.

I blew out the canister today, no fuel came out, don't know if that really means anything? Thanks guys, anyone else?
John

Old 08-11-2010 | 06:50 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Mine 07 did something similar but it was when I pulled in the clutch prior to stopping. It would idle really low and die if I didn't twist the throttle. Turned out to be the crank position sensor. Never threw any codes. Once it was replaced I never had an issue again.

Old 08-11-2010 | 07:27 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 78USMCrider
Det, I'm not sure what or where my Idle air control motor is or what it does?!? sorry i'm the new guy on the road. yesterday when it wanted it die I was at a light. The 1st time I was riding down the road. I have the stage one kit one the bike. and just a few weeks ago added the K&N air filter, but I really doubt that would affect anything.
Stro, no I had no loss of electrical power.

I blew out the canister today, no fuel came out, don't know if that really means anything? Thanks guys, anyone else?
John
First try cleaning the IAC valve. So far it has worked for me.
Take your air cleaner off and look/feel for a small opening just inside the throttle body. It's at the 12 o'clock position. Put your finger over the orfice, turn your ignition on. Then turn the kil switch on and off. You will feel the IAC valve move up and down.
Now do the same thing while squirting some carb cleaner in the orfice.
Also clean out the back of the throttle body and intake.
If this doesn't work it may be the IAC motor.

Old 08-11-2010 | 08:19 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Lots of info on these stalling problems. T doing a search for Tech Tip-410 or TT4-10.... iclick has alot of info on this subject too & may chime in.

Old 08-11-2010 | 08:30 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I don't think the OP's problem involves the IAC motor, as it wouldn't affect operation riding down the road like he describes, that is unless he is at 0% throttle and either the clutch is disengaged or it is in neutral. Idle problems are common with '07's and most are related to the IAC motor. Some have had success cleaning the IAC orifice, but mine required replacing the motor. It's hard to tell what might cause it to die while running at cruise, but I would suspect the fuel quality first. Is it throwing any codes?

For those having idle problems read this thread and this Tech Tip.

Old 08-11-2010 | 08:42 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

My bike had fuel starvation issues after I shut down a warm engine and tried to restart.
The Durango HD dealer diagnosed my problem (over the phone) while on a road trip in Colorado. it was fuel pressure build-up at the pressure regulator above the quick release on the bottom of the tank. He told me some have problems while under power, and that it was a fairly common problem.
The fix is to replace the quick release asy at the tank. It's a rather difficult job apparently, because you need to work inside the tank.
I just detach and reattach the quick release and it solves the problem for now. Tough to do while riding though!
It's worth looking into?

Last edited by Scorpion07; 08-11-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 07 street glide dies ?? need some help.