Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 street glide dies ?? need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010 | 12:23 PM
78USMCrider
|
Stage III

Thanks everyone.
Lucky for me I'm off for a few days and have time to work on it.

iClick, I need to learn to explain better, While going down the road, clutch was pulled in, 0% throttle. If I Worked the throttle and keep the RPM's up it won't die. It never threw a code either. Glad I bought the extended warrenty!
John

Old 08-11-2010 | 04:57 PM
pmcburne
Cruiser

My 07 Road King would die at highway speeds or in town. If I cycled the kill switch it would restart and the problem could happen again at random. Turned out to be a faulty kill switch/start switch assembly. Also no codes were thrown.

Old 08-16-2010 | 08:26 AM
exitclub
Novice
Default 08 Ultra possible IAC issues

I'm going to clean my IAC today. I have been throwing a PO151 code for my rear O2 and it was suggested that I clean my IAC. You posted that the IAC is just inside the intake at 12 o'clock, are there any post showing details or photos of location and cleaning? Also, while putting my finger over the orifice turn the ignition on and turn the run switch to off to feel for IAC movement? No movement could mean the motor is bad. my bike tends to idle a little low like it wants to stall where I have to give it a little throttle and than it picks back up.

Would there be any issues with running the bike and spraying the intake with carb cleaner? I know the newer models are sensitive to intake level changes and didn't know how that would effect the bike.

Thanks in advance,

Bhrett

Old 08-16-2010 | 09:14 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

Looking at the throttle body with the AC removed, it's located at the top of the bore BEFORE the butterfly.
I couldn't spray while the bike was running, because it would stall immediately.
I ended up just spraying the IAC, the butterfly, and the inside of the TB until clean. Use as little as you can get away with though. I opened the butterfly (with the throttle) for a minute, to let as much cleaner evaporate as I could wait for. Then cranked her up. Once it ran through the cleaner (couple seconds), it ran fine.
I never did the cycling with the kill switch. Didn't seem to need it???

Old 08-16-2010 | 10:50 AM
jp13
Tourer

I have a 07 fxdl that stalled a couple of times last year which I blamed bad gas. This year it did it a couple of times early in the season. Took a ride Sat. and it stalled 5 or 6 times in a row at stop.Then after I let it sit for 5 minutes or so,it did not do it again all day. It also backfired and decel popped until the ride home. I just do not trust it anymore. I have not seen any codes either. Bringing to shop next week,hope they can get it the first time. I believe what I have read it is the IAC motor.

Old 08-16-2010 | 11:10 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 78USMCrider
iClick, I need to learn to explain better, While going down the road, clutch was pulled in, 0% throttle. If I Worked the throttle and keep the RPM's up it won't die. It never threw a code either. Glad I bought the extended warrenty!
John
In that case I'd bet on the IAC motor. Try earlier suggestions to clean the orifice, then if that doesn't work replace the IAC motor itself. You don't need to remove the entire throttle body to do this, but if you have a Torx socket and ¼"-drive wrench just the right height it will give you enough clearance to remove and install the inside IAC screw.

Also, get TT-410 (Harley Tech Tip), which addresses '07 idle issues.

Old 08-16-2010 | 11:40 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

Iclick, I started thinking about this a while ago: I was NOT able to clean the IAC while the bike was running, but you and another poster could. Is it possible that since the cleaner had no effect in your situation, that the IAC motor was closed or dead? And that is a clear indication the IAC needs replacing rather then cleaning??

Old 08-16-2010 | 12:22 PM
marty442
Advanced

There's a thread on this forum dedicated to 07 idle problems. Seems like a lot of 07 bikes have had this problem. I certainly did on my 07 Deluxe with 24K miles. The symptom would be after sustained riding over 60 mph, come to a stop, and the idle would drop down till it stalled. I tried a number of things that were recommended on the forum, including cleaning out the idle air control valve. But the problem kept coming back. I finally found a techie at my HD dealer who said it was the idle control motor that was going bad. I replaced it last week and haven't had a problem since. The funny thing is the bike seems to be running better with better throttle response and stronger pull during acceleration. Maybe it's the washing the car effect but the bike really runs better. Not sure why the idle control motor would effect normal riding.

Old 08-16-2010 | 02:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
Iclick, I started thinking about this a while ago: I was NOT able to clean the IAC while the bike was running, but you and another poster could.
Mine would bog down when spraying carb cleaner in the IAC orifice, and to keep it from dying I had to modulate the throttle and not spray too aggressively. I'm not sure that's the best way to do it, though. The IAC motor will move in and out if you turn on the ignition and use the kill switch. Each time you hit the kill switch you can hear the motor move, and I think that's the best approach. Stuff a small lint-free rag unto the throttle body to catch the carb cleaner that leaks from the inside orifice, then spray it into the outside orifice while toggling the kill switch. Don't start the motor before removing the rag! Anyway, no amount or method of cleaning helped my high-idle problem and I had to replace the IAC motor. I had only rare low-idle issues before that and they haven't recurred, but on one occasion it idled a bit high (1700 rpm) immediately after a warm start and after the bike sat for 30 min. I turned it off and on again and it ran normally. It's been about six weeks since replacing the IAC and I've had only that one glitch, which is a big improvement.

Is it possible that since the cleaner had no effect in your situation, that the IAC motor was closed or dead? And that is a clear indication the IAC needs replacing rather then cleaning??
No, mine worked fine about 90% of the time, and I mostly had trouble with high-idle after starting when cold. Once in a blue moon I would have low-idle problems, and that is the complaint most people have, so I'm the exception. High-idle complaints seem to be rare. If the IAC was stuck it would idle bad (high or low depending on where it sticks) all the time.

There's a big discussion about these '07 idle issues here, and you can download TT-410 which is HD's take on these problems.

There are suggestions on the thread linked above that the SE AC is at fault, as in '07 they vented the crankcase directly into the throttle body. Speculation is that the oil that is injected there can work its way up into the IAC orifice and eventually clog the motor, but you'd think motor oil wouldn't do that. Anyway, when I cleaned the orifice the carb cleaner that dripped out the inside orifice was dark and gunky looking, suggesting that oil is getting into that area and since it isn't supposed to be lubricated maybe that's the problem. Or, maybe '07 had a bunch of bad IAC motors that came from the factory. Has anyone had a replaced motor cause trouble?

Last edited by iclick; 08-16-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2010 | 08:20 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

well im joining the club high idol up to 1800 and would not idol down until shut off and resart.then yeserday idoled at 1100 all day reasart didnt solve it then the codes started coming ,havent checked em yet its going to wait for another day too much overtime at work.

Quick Reply: 07 street glide dies ?? need some help.