Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been a while

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:37 PM
teach
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Been a while

Well it's been about two years but I'm back to a HD from the Vision I purchased. Anyhow I have a question that is surrounded by a lot of innuendo but nothing I have found to substanciate the innuendo, so here goes:
Does installing a hitch on a HD void the warranty?

Now before you reply I've looked through the owners manual cover to cover.... all I can find is a couple "warnings" to not tow a trailer as it may cause instability. That warning doesn't void the warranty. They also have a warning that tells you to wear a lid because riding motorcycles is dangerous. So using the don't tow warning would be like saying if you didn't wear a lid your warranty is void.

Now someone suggested the claus that states "which has been abused, misused, improperly stored, used off the highwayor used for racing or competition of any kind." I have to rule that out as well because the exclusion claus in the owners manual are pretty specific as to what mods, uses, etc, will void the warranty. HD would need to evaluate abuse or misuse on a case by case, and since a trailer would be lighter than the sidecar HD sells, that won't do it.

I've also read where some folks have called customer service at the moco and were told it voided the warranty, BUT nobody has any hard copy written claus which states a hitch will void the warranty. In other words the moco saying it voids the warranty isn't any different than some sales person at the local shop telling you it will be voided. If HD will really void the warranty for a hitch, it would need to be in the manual or some other bulletin to be legal/binding.

So has ANYONE actually seen anything in writing which states a hitch or towing will void the warranty?

Seems to me if it REALLY voided the warranty, and since the exclusions are pretty straight forward, it would state clearly "towing a trailer voids the warranty" but it doesn't.

????

Old 08-09-2010, 06:02 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I can say is my dealer offered to install my hitch and sell it as an accessory (they have a part number in their book), so if it voids the warranty, they did not bring it up. BTW, I bought my own from Kuryakyn and installed it and the wiring myself. It was much cheaper than letting HD do it and it feels very secure. The best part is I do not have to pack like a boy scout with merit badges when I want to roll; just toss into the trailer and hit the gas.

Welcome back to the dark side.

spiz

Last edited by spizzyman; 08-09-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:06 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome back

Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

Welcome back. I was at my dealer the other day, and the parts guy told me that exact thing. Warranty void when hitch installed.