Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a clutch adjustment expert.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:02 AM
silverbullitt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a clutch adjustment expert.

Been searching all over the forum for help. Long story short. 05 Road King Police. Since I changed the clutch cable for the taller handlebars, the bike will upshift fine, but downshifting takes a lot of effort, and I can not find neutral unless the bike is shut off. So, I did the clutch adjustment by the book, and several other ways recommended by forum members. This weekend, I thought I had it close. But once I get close t the 1/8 to 1/4 freeplay at the lever, "SNAP", and each time I have to take the transmission cover back off and fix the ramp. Seems like it rolls too far and lets the ***** pop out. I am pulling my hair out. WTF am I doing wrong?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you don't have the snap ring in the grove or get a new one, you may have bent it when you took it out so that it's not snug in the grove. There's no way that should pop out of there with the snap ring in place.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gmc
Sounds like you don't have the snap ring in the grove or get a new one, you may have bent it when you took it out so that it's not snug in the grove. There's no way that should pop out of there with the snap ring in place.
+1 that has to be it

Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 AM
silverbullitt
Road Captain

It is tight in the groove, but I will get another one. Man, I am pulling my hair out on this one.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 PM
TheBagger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also agree that if the snap ring is in the groove you shouldn't be having the ramp come up over the *****, just not possible.

Last edited by TheBagger; 08-09-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:34 PM
silverbullitt
Road Captain

It may not be that, but when I get close to having everything right, pull the clutch lever in, something snaps, and the lever goes to the bar. I pull the side cover off, and the ramp is against the snap ring. It has to be something I am overlooking, or so stupid that I cant figure it out.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have seen this happen in this situation. the clutch pulls then goes all the way in. Check to make sure that one of the ***** in the clutch actuator (not sure if its called that) hasn't slipped out of place. It will cause the plate to get stuck all the way out at the snap ring. It doesn't take much. Use some grease to make them stick, then reassemble. Make sure the snap ring is good. Check that your cable is hooked up correctly at the lever. Make sure the bike is cold. Loosen the cable adjuster all the way. Loosen the locknut and run the adjuster at the clutch pack out and back in with you fingers until it is finger tight. Work the lever, you should see some motion in the clutch. Repeat a couple of times. Last time run to finger tight and back out 1/4 turn. Lock down, put derby cover on. Adjust cable to width of a nickle play and you should be good to go.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:03 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When you get the *****/ramp in place and re assembled, loosen the clutch cable adjuster fully. Then run the adjuster screw in all the way until the diaphragm spring starts to compress. Then back out and do it again until lightly seated. Back off 1/2 to 3/4 turn and lock it down. I'm thinking your adjuster might be too far out and you are taking up all the slack at the clutch cable instead of inside the clutch pack.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:27 PM
silverbullitt
Road Captain

Thanks guys. Will give it another shot tonight. I am doing something wrong, just cant tell what it is.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There's a good thread over in the Evo forum that describes clutch adjustment, which you may find helpful. Go to #27.

Quick Reply: Need a clutch adjustment expert.