Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back to Conventional

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 AM
hubble
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also went back to Dino oil ( Bel-Ray ). The engine noises it use to make are gone and it seems to run smoother. I just got tired ordering oil (Amsoil) on line and the price. I can get Bel-Ray local. I use their Hypoid Gear Oil (85w140) in the tranny, Their primary & engine oil...............

Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will start by saying that I believe synthetic is better than dino for many reasons and has been proven in many studies, just Google. But dino changed at correct intervals should be fine. Havoline was always great oil because it had very high levels of Molybdenum which is a great anti-wear additive. So for the poster using Havoline, it is great oil. Also filters are only made by a few companies and they manufacture filters for others. Wix is a very good filter, they also make the NAPA gold filter and others, and I use them on my cages. If they made a chrome one with the proper bypass valve setpoint, I would not hesitate using it on my Harley. I do use them on my metric bikes. But for the air cooled HD, I will stick with synthetics; noise does not equate to wear, just a function of the syns viscosity characteristics. I don’t know who makes the HD filter, but their 5 micron filter seems to be of excellent quality, probably made by champion. If I get the chance to cut one open, it is pretty easy to tell who makes it. Mobil 1, Bosch and Purolator also make good filters. Fram is one I would not touch with a 10 foot pole, very poor quality. As far as syn oil goes there are many that are excellent quality, Mobile 1, redline, amsoil, royal purple, etc.

Just use a good quality oil and filter and change at the proper intervals, turn up the tunes and enjoy the ride, your engine will be fine.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Keith4001r
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hover
I'm starting to think the same thing, mine seems to clatter on cold starts sometimes...I might go back to Dyno oil and see if that helps...unless there's an additive I can find to quiet the thing down.
I don't think I'd pay a premium for synthetic oil and then spend more for an additive to make it do what the (relatively) cheap stuff does on it's own.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

I have also returned to dino oil, and the reduction of noise was substantial.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:55 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Talking with a good bud of mine who was out in South Dakatoa at that little known biker bash they have. He wanted to hit yellowstone this year to hit the 100,000 mile mark on his 2002 RK. Runs nothing but Torco Dino oil......

I bought my first HD in 77 have always tried to run Torco oils and I did run syn for around 10,000 miles in my SG but I just went back to dino, not knocking anyones choice what freedom is all about, while we still have it.

Attached Thumbnails Back to Conventional-picturebike8copy.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 03:47 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

before synthetic oil was invented and became popular, i used castol 20-50 in everything i owned. i'm wondering how rotella or delvac oil would work in our motors. they work great in caterpillar, cummins, and detroit diesel motors. matter of fact, it's recommended that if you are low on oil and need to top it off, to use oil rated for diesel motors. they may have something there. as far as amzoil, i'm sure it's a great product, but i be damm if i'm going to go through all the hassle of chasing it down. i sure don't want to become a distributor of their product, and that's the way i guess you get it cheaper. thanks anyway amzoil. i was using royal purple max cycle that i was getting for 7.99 a quart, and then it went to 12.99 overnight. goodbye royal purple. dino oil might just be the way to go, after all the bearings in the motor don't know whether they're being used in an air cooled v-twin or a drilling rig. its job is to lubricate and to cool in our case with the piston jets.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:25 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a old school mechanic (semi retired) and will never run syntheic in any engines I own.The synthetic or even semi synthetic is okay for a tranny but I have seen to many issues with it and it scares me too much to use in mine!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:38 PM
wrongway2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine noise in my bike was getting worse real fast (sounded like major lifter noise at the top rpm range in each gear) so yesterday I replaced the amsoil with HD dino oil as well as the HD filter.

Within a couple of miles the engine was quieter. Even my wife noticed the difference.
We put on 300 miles today and engine is still quiet (compared to what it was).

I'm not knocking any product but my bike did not like amsoil, that's all.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been running 50w dino oil in my bikes during the summer for as long as I can remember. Last summer, I put synthetic in (HD oil, not Amsoil), but didn't care for the increased noise. This spring when I put cams in, I added a +15 Baisley oil spring, and 50w dino oil. I like how it sounds, and I'm not having any overheating issues.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:15 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Always get a kick reading about all the noise you people think you hear is bad,when you really do not know.An oils viscosity controls the noise level not the brand of oil.You have your reasons for your choices, good or bad.

Quick Reply: Back to Conventional