Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing luggage rack from 1994 Ultra Classic w/CB

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010 | 07:25 PM
trigger1911
|
Tourer
Default Removing luggage rack from 1994 Ultra Classic w/CB

I am trying to obtain a StreetGlide look. I know these pre-1997 touring bikes are oddballs.I want to remove my trunk and luggage rack from my 1994 ultra. I took the trunk off. i am looking at the rack and it looks like their are 2 bolts on each side that hold the rack to the fender/fender strut and one bolt on each side by the front of the rear fender. If I remove those 6 bolts, will the rack come off clean? I have seen many people on here that have cut the rack at the end of the fender strut and put lights in them or plugged them. I would like to put a grab rail on mine like on my Road King. Whats your thoughts? The CB needs to go also but is another headache. Thanks.!

Attached Thumbnails Removing luggage rack from 1994 Ultra Classic w/CB-ultra-rack.jpg  
Old 08-08-2010 | 09:39 PM
fatboyNick
Cruiser

I just did the change on my 96RK, here are the before and after pics. The grab rail was not as easy as you think to remove, maybe for you it will but for me it was a nightmare. You will need a lift to get the weight off the wheel, you WILL have to remove both upper shock mounts and all 4 of the bolts at the back end. This is where it gets nerve racking, once you pop all 6 bolts out, everything seems to go out of whack, my fender holes in the 4 bolt locations in the back moved 1/2 diameter off. You will need to either purchase a new rail as I did or buy inserts for the top rail that can have lights or chrome ends to it or plugs. I chose to have a laydown license plate so I purchase a new rear rail/plate combo. This new rail mounted but it took some force to spread the bike rail apart a small amount to slide the new rear rail on. Once the new rail is on comes the fun part, getting all the holes to line up, I would have danced with my ex wife in a 24hr marathon then to go through that ordeal once again and I hate her with a passion.....
Do yourself a favor, I started with the shocks first, one side then the next, leave the bolts loose, then attach the rear 4 bolts, but MAKE SURE YOU DROP THE BIKE DOWN OFF THE LIFT!
I did not do that and it cost me my last hairs on my head, I even posted a thread here about the issue and someone mentioned to drop it down on the ground. Once I did that I was able to muscle the bolts into the holes and started to button it up and yes I did lift the bike up to take up the pressure off the swing arm just a bit to snug up the bolts.
When you start to assemble the pieces back together, remember to check the condition of the threaded bushings at the top shock mounts, I needed to replace a defective threaded one and at $48 each they are not cheap, I had a local machine shop make me a set for each side, both bushing and locknut (the locknut is located on the inner fender, it screws into the bushing located on the outside of the fender.
I did use Loctight on the bolts too.
Here is the initial thread when I asked about removing my luggage, it has the links for the parts you need.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...new-to-hd.html

Attached Thumbnails Removing luggage rack from 1994 Ultra Classic w/CB-my-96-rk-lightenedsm.jpg   Removing luggage rack from 1994 Ultra Classic w/CB-my-96-rk-new-rear1-800x600.jpg