Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thick smoke and intake spewing oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:31 PM
bborner
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thick smoke and intake spewing oil

I was just finishing up a 1500 mile ride around Colorado, Utah, and Arizona, when my '04 Road King (EFI) started blowing thick white/blue smoke and oil started pouring out of my air filter case. I am assuming I blew a ring or something which is causing oil to get to the top of the heads and be burned. I did not think it would cause oil to start pouring out of the intake like that. I am about to tear into the motor, but wanted to know if anybody else ever had (or heard of) the same problem, and know what it might be. I was doing about 75mph on I-15N out of St George Utah when it went. I should state that i lost power at the same time. I have started it to load it on the trailer move it into the garage, and I didnt see any smoke or anything. I did not run it long at all (maybe a minute at most).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~bob
Castle Rock, CO

Old 08-08-2010, 12:38 PM
microwave
Advanced

wow thats a werd one....when ya started it did it sounded ok and started ok??. kept us posted on what ya find...

Old 08-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know the answer but was wondering if it could have been a clogged crank case breather that caused it?

Old 08-08-2010, 01:52 PM
dbinbc
Cruiser

The engine breaths through the air filter and vents right in behind it, into it. If your oil level is too full it will cause oil to vent out the breather holes or tubes. Hard riding will also cause oil to build up at the top faster than it can drain back down and run out into the filter. From there it gets sucked in with the air and burned. Excess will end up running down onto the outside of the engine. Check oil level and check air filter, it could be dirty from the oil and that might cause even more vacuum behind the filter which would draw out more oil.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:15 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Not always but sometimes when you drop a valve(spring, guide) it loses compression, bangs into the piston, closes up the ring groove, locks the ring in place, and starts smoking like a train, ask me how I know this.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:20 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

+1 on the oil level. Had that happen last year going to BC in 100*, my oil level was too high plus I had lower fairings. I adjusted the level and sold the lowers and no more issues, In fact I just got back last week from Utah, Colorado and AZ in 118* no issues. I hope yours is something simple.
I too lost power and dropped 20 psi of oil pressure when I had the symptoms.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:20 PM
bborner
Stage IV
Default update

OK, so i pulled the air cleaner cover and element. I removed the two vent hoses. I put another half-quart into the oil tank. I ran it for about five minutes. When I checked the oil level, it was half way between the "add 1 qt" and the "full hot" mark. There was no visible smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes, but the front vent (from the front cylinder) started running oil out of the vent into the air filter case. The vent feeding the rear jug is not dispelling anything. I hope this helps. And I truly appreciate the quick responses.

~bob

Old 08-08-2010, 02:42 PM
dbinbc
Cruiser

Starting to sound like the oil return up in the top of the front cylinder is partly plugged. I don't know what the plumbing is up in there but having the top cover removed is no big deal. Not very likely it is anything worse than that.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Have you done a compression check?
Also in the rocker boxes there is some type of a breather if I am not mistaken that will vent in to the A/C BACKING PLATE? Could be wrong on that one...been awhile since I been inside the engine...

Old 08-08-2010, 03:42 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
Have you done a compression check?
Also in the rocker boxes there is some type of a breather if I am not mistaken that will vent in to the A/C BACKING PLATE? Could be wrong on that one...been awhile since I been inside the engine...

Isn't that the umbrella thing. I am sure if that has failed then all the oil that is in the top end could get sucked right out the air intake. Seems to me that umbrella thing is the kind of check valve up through that top end breather. Just throwing stuff out there.. I am sure someone that knows what is up there will answer you this evening.

Quick Reply: Thick smoke and intake spewing oil