Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thick smoke and intake spewing oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:53 PM
IBHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friend had that happen to his 05 and he found out that a cam bearing had failed ended up replacing everything from crank to oil pump

Old 08-09-2010, 02:09 PM
bborner
Stage IV
Default update

I am taking my time tearing into this, as I dont want to miss anything. I have only performed the initial teardown (seat, bags, tank, coil, plugs, wiring, etc). I am only going to tear down the cylinder in question (at first anyway). I removed the rocker cover, and breather cap. Nothing to report as of yet. I am hoping this weekend, I can get deeper into the jug (rockers, pushrods, pistons, rings, etc). I will report back as I do more.

I just hate when someone leaves you hanging on a post, so I will keep updates as they happen. Kids are back in school, so garage time is limited right now.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and shared experiences.

~bob

Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 PM
bborner
Stage IV
Default update

So I was able to spend some time today working on the bike. I removed the rocker support, push rods and covers, and bottom half of the head. The pushrods looked straight and unobstructed (which gets oil into the head). Reading the service manual, the oil flows up the lifters, through the push rods, through the rocker rods, and then flows down through a casting hole right behind the exhaust spring and valve. Everything I checked along the path looks unobstructed.

I also read about the air flow which comes up through the crankcase, under the rocker support plate, and into the breather element. The foam is suppose to suppress any oil, which then allows the air to bleed through and escape through the vent into the air cleaner chamber. The rubber check valve that allows this air into the head looks to be in perfect shape.

I now have to go deeper into the motor, and hope that something jumps out as being blatantly obvious, but I am worried that I am going to find no rhyme or reason.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thing happen after a 95" build. Both times I was on a four lane with speed of 70(or so). After 5-6 miles, the oil would spew with thick smoke behind me.The PHD mechanic who built the engine said to put only 3 1/2 quarts of oil in when doing an oil change. I followed his advice and the puking has never recurred. That was 10,000 miles ago.