Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:18 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

OK. Here is the verdict. After weighing the pros and cons, I've decided to stay with a MC tire for my next purchase. Although I'm convinced that a CT is a great alternative, 2 main reasons pushed me to remain a "lighsider".
The first reason is that I couldn't find a single MC shop here willing to mount a CT on my wheel. I don't want a car tire shop to butcher the wheel because they don't have the proper equipment to handle narrow wheels.
The second and more determining reason is that Jake Wilson is offering the soon-to-be-released American Elite (180/65-16) at 153 bucks with free shipping. This is a great deal and based on the performance of the E3, the 9,100 miles I have now on the D407 (2.5/32 left) and the fact that the American Elite is supposed to grip even better and last longer than the E3, I am pretty much certain to get between 12K to 15K out of this tire, which represents 2 full riding seasons for me.
So, I ordered an American Elite and should receive it at end of september. PayPal will not pay Jake Wilson until the tire is shipped, which is another reassuring factor.

I have been extremely impressed by the very positive comments from the darksiders here and I'm certain that I will have a CT on my bike at some point in the future.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I bet you buy 3 before I replace mine! Well, it's been good knowin' ya Frenchie!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I bet you buy 3 before I replace mine! Well, it's been good knowin' ya Frenchie!
Could be but buying a CT that I can't have mounted here is useless, you know. Hopefully the growing ranks of darksiders will make bike shops reconsider their anti-CT position.
Oh and I'm not leaving the Forum. I hope to have more exchanges with you.

frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Duplicate post

TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

FB,

That is what is all about. Freedom of choice, it wasn't that long ago that the only choice was a D407!
The local Honda dealer did mine without batting an eye, lol.

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 08-11-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Didn't I mention to you over on the DS forums that the little mom&pop shops and dirt bike shops are more prone to do something off the cuff like this. My dirt bike guy only charges me $25 with balance, and $50 for complete takeoff and reinstall for my buddy. We sign a little waiver and we're golden - some other guys found these shops too; it's the big bike shops/dealerships that won't rock the boat.
One guy mentioned that he got a nice job done at a tire dealership: they even had the rim protectors and all on their hubless type machine.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:34 AM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first time I had my tire replaced I was at a dealer out of state, they wouldn't even go the next size wider, which did fit, I have one on now, they said they had to install what came on the bike from the factory, so I don't doubt that they wouldn't mount a car tire, now I do my own.
Terry

Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, a lot of guys also bought the Harbor Freight changer to do theirs. I guess it will pay itself off eventually, but I don't have room for it. I already have every other tool known to man.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 AM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car tire

Lets see how did it go?

Man will never be able to fly

If you go over 40mph you will die

On and on

I run a Hankook on the rear of my 2011 RK and love it. Smoother, quieter, Grips better and works better in the rain and stops quicker. Tar strips and road cracks don't bother it. Holds air better so I don't have to add air every other time I ride, has a higher load rating and rated for 130mph lasts at least twice as long at 1/2 the cost. On and on.

And I am ahead of the nay Sayers because I am doing it and will continue to.

As far as getting it mounted If a bike dealership does it they charge a lot.40.00 to mount?? And the ones that won't well I just will not ever buy anything from them.EVER!!

If they are that ignorant I don't want them to touch my ride.

My tire dealer I go to and have for years mounted mine for nothing . Guess who gets my business.

The modern tire machines hold the rim by the lip and do no damage and do not mark the rim, Don't even argue that point as I watched and had it done.

I really like the ct and will stay with it!! Can you tell?

The rest do what you believe! If you will die from using them do not do it end of story.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Rustell;7114398]Car tires belong on cars... They are not engineered for the forces that a motorcycle puts on a tire,nor are they meant to fit a motorcycle rim..
[B] But do whatever you want...

Quick Reply: Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??