Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TMair
I really can't give any advice, or opinion on this I just have a question:
What exactly is the Dark side, I see threads on here, I just got my first tourning bike, glad to be on the dark side, I just got my first Street glide, glad to be on the dark side, I jut got my first Road glide my turn on the dark side, I switched to a Soft tail guess I'll be riding on the dark side, I just got a Car tire on my bike, checking out the dark side, the pedals on my tricycle just broke guess I'll be going to the dark side, so what exactly is "The Dark Side"
Thanks for your help
Terry
Darkside = car tire on bikes

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not advocating one way or the other ...BT v. CT.
Take a look back at the old Goodyear 5.00-5.10/16. The tread was flat as a pancake!!
Having said that, today's bikes handle a lot different than 40's-50's 'Glides.
I guess you pay your money and take your chances.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I will never convince the guys running the darkside tires that it's not a good idea, and they will never convince me that it's safe. If I have to replace my mc tires faster than my car and truck tires, I figure that's just part of the price of riding.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:35 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thumper05
Im at a nail in the road so to speak,,,
Got a nail in the rear tire and the tread is kinda thin so its time to change...
08 ultra what would be a good tire to go with if i was wanting to go to the darkside and run a car tire ??
I was going to go back to the metzler me 880 touring.. but have been debating the car tire thing..
Input is welcome

Thumper,

Go with the Vredestein Comtrac. You'll be happy.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Darkside = car tire on bikes
Yeah I know, my point was that it seams like every one uses the frase "Dark Side" for every change they make.
Terry

Old 08-09-2010, 03:18 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default We going to go through this again??

if you like going in a straight line then maybe a car tire is fine but you can be sure of one thing. If your into a sweeping turn at 60 or higher and roll on the throttle of even let off it, the side walls will not stay rigid like a bike tire and will most likely cause a speed wobble as the dynamics of the tire changes. The side walls of a CT are not designed for angled torque like a BT.
having said that, do what you want with your life, frankly, I don't give a hoot, but be careful about recommending them so highly, as in the (sue happy) world of North America, it may come back and bite you in the ****.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

TMair; It's simply a "Star Wars" reference to Darth Vader/Emporor trying to get Luke to switch allegiances...now used for any instance of "changing sides" in any debate.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Thumper,

Go with the Vredestein Comtrac. You'll be happy.
Not to be a smart *** here but why would you go with a "van" tire and not a sport car tire? Like a Michelin Pilot Sport tire?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
if you like going in a straight line then maybe a car tire is fine but you can be sure of one thing. If your into a sweeping turn at 60 or higher and roll on the throttle of even let off it, the side walls will not stay rigid like a bike tire and will most likely cause a speed wobble as the dynamics of the tire changes. The side walls of a CT are not designed for angled torque like a BT.

Watchguy, we already went over all this, you still don't have a clue

having said that, do what you want with your life, frankly, I don't give a hoot, but be careful about recommending them so highly, as in the (sue happy) world of North America, it may come back and bite you in the ****.
Reread the original post. Thumper asked for input, obviously expecting pro and con, and that is what he is getting.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it funny that the biggest argument for going with the car tire is generally financial, that folks don't want to pay the price for motorcycle tires. Performance is generally the secondary theme in the justification process... no dog in this fight, and not likely to ever be one, just sayin

Quick Reply: Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??