Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:52 AM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
You can drive a nail with a pair of pliers, that doesn't make it the right tool for the job.

No, you won't die immediately putting a car tire on a bike. Having ridden a bike with a car tire on it, I can say this......If you do a lot of highway miles and don't care about how your bike handles, it's a decent choice. But if you like riding a motorcycle like a motorcycle, then you'll hate the car tire. It sucks every bit of fun out of riding on a winding road and makes turning a chore.

I couldn't give two $hits what people do to their bikes, but the religious fervor that the Darksiders have is ridiculous. A car tire will last longer than a bike tire. It won't kill you immediately. But the riding experience with them sucks.
Luckily your experience isn't universal.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:23 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by tsigwing
Luckily your experience isn't universal.
Luck's got nothing to do with it.

If you're happy with what a car tire does to your bike, then by gum I'm happy for you. I can't be bothered to get worked up over what a bunch of strangers on the internet do to their bikes.

I tried it because I'd love to go 20-30,000 miles between tire changes. I hated it, and I can't recommend it due to what I felt.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
It's all about choices and I guess for some people the car tire makes sense. I'm a firm believer in that racing improves the breed and that the technology that manufacturers develop while racing eventually trickles down to products sold to the public. Remember race on Sunday, sell on Monday.

So I'm wondering if car tire technology is better than motorcycle tire technology (and cheaper), why wouldn't a motorcycle race team use race car tires on a motorcycle? Wouldn't a race car tire last longer than a motorcycle race tire?
Because a car tire used at the lean angles of a race bike would be impossible. It would mean an immediate failure and loss of control.

No Darksider, not a single one, has ever done a track day or a ride on the road on a sport bike or any bike that approaches the lean angles seen in racing with a car tire mounted.

A car tire lasts longer given an equal compound because less weight per square inch means less wear. It could even allow for a softer compound than on the motorcycle.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:43 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

It's all about choices and I guess for some people the car tire makes sense. I'm a firm believer in that racing improves the breed and that the technology that manufacturers develop while racing eventually trickles down to products sold to the public. Remember race on Sunday, sell on Monday.

So I'm wondering if car tire technology is better than motorcycle tire technology (and cheaper), why wouldn't a motorcycle race team use race car tires on a motorcycle? Wouldn't a race car tire last longer than a motorcycle race tire?
Car tires are designed for CARS. The tire is essentially, perpendicular to the road. Why would anyone want their bike to handle worse than it already does is beyond me. Engineers get paid huge bucks to develop tires for motorcycles. To each their own I guess. Enjoy your car tire.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:55 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

YOU Darkside people are idiots!

Car Tires start with the word car for a reason. Why I once saw a website on the internet that said that everyone who puts a car tire will die horribly, alone and their children will be sold into slavery. Don't even get me started with what I read about Darksiding on Face Book and we all know that everything on FB is the truth.

Even though I have never actually gone Dark myself I know that it can't possibly work and that you will need to wear your rain suits 24/7 because all the real bikers will spit on you!

It is a proven fact that every person who even thought about mounting a car tire on their bike has burst into flames due to spontaneous combustion.
Anyway it's your choice, but I just want you to know that I am hacking up a big green loogie just for you!

Oh, wait a minute, I forgot, darn, never mind......

Old 06-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,811 Likes on 2,264 Posts

Car tires probably work for people who do not lean a motorcycle.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:37 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Hate Work
Engineers get paid huge bucks...
Where do I go to collect those huge bucks? Somehow they've missed my paycheck.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:50 AM
Quiet Thunder
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Variety is the spice of life....

...and the truth of the matter is ride what you want to ride. First of all, when I first started to ride a M/C, it was a 1949 Harley Dou Glide. Came with car tires right from the show room floor. There wasn't a M/C tire to be found. And for you old guys w how had them, you remember swapping the front to the rear when the front wore into a "A" shape and the rear was flat to get more miles out of them?

When you go to a tire store for tires for your car, you don't say "I want car tires". You tell the guy you want tires put on your car. And for you who think that car tires run flat on the road 100% of the time, well, you got another think coming. Ever watched NASCAR? At 200 miles per hour in turns, do you really think those tires are flat on the track? Logic tells you that the tires are on the outside of the tread. And I know, these tire are made for the track, I'll give you that, but car tires none the less. When you go into a corner on a M/C with a car tire, the tread shoulder flattens out TOWARD the main body of the tire, hence more tread on the road. I'll give you the fact that pushing a bike into a turn, a little more effort is needed, about the same as pushing a fart out while sitting on a stool, but you get to the point it's no effort at all. I can snap mine into a "S" curve just a fast as others. Ride the Dragon with me....

How many times have you seen a bike on it's side in a curve on a rainy day? Or you yourself hit a tar snake and the bike get a little squirrelly? Or had driven into loose dirt and the back end whats to come out from under you? I'm not saying that the "car tire" prevents all of these from happening, but it sure cuts down on them, especially the wet roads.

I run a Kuhmo Ecsta all season run flat. Have had them on all my bikes. Well over 100, 000 miles and I've yet to see smoke much less see flames.

Arguing with 'darksiders', and saying you shouldn't is like the government telling you you shouldn't have high capacity magazines. Same same....

Again, ride what you want, and enjoy it.

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (06-07-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 11:02 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Where do I go to collect those huge bucks? Somehow they've missed my paycheck.
You did. You received exactly what you contributed to the safe, secure and comfortable ride of a premium motorcycle tire.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:12 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Because a car tire used at the lean angles of a race bike would be impossible. It would mean an immediate failure and loss of control.

No Darksider, not a single one, has ever done a track day or a ride on the road on a sport bike or any bike that approaches the lean angles seen in racing with a car tire mounted.

A car tire lasts longer given an equal compound because less weight per square inch means less wear. It could even allow for a softer compound than on the motorcycle.
My post was just to give people something to think about. I'm a firm believer in using a motorcycle tire on a motorcycle. Hell, I purchased a No-Mar tire changer so that I can change both my friends and my own motorcycle tires without the extra expense of using a shop for what is basically a fairly simple maintenance item.

In the same regard to what I mentioned above about race teams, why haven't we seen any race teams use DynaBeads to balance their tires if it works so well?

Quick Reply: Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??