Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:07 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

This debate has raged for awhile on several different forums. Both sides seem to repeat the same positions;

Dark side argument:
Originally Posted by EasternSP
Those who have never tried it but seem to have all the answers about a CT on a motorcycle.
I've been running CTs since 1978. Had em on rigid frame and baggers. All the same, great ride, wears longer, handles just as well as an MT and costs less than a MT.
My current CT has 14K on it and still looks good. I would typically go through a Venom 200mm rear tire in about 4K. I still haven't died, burst into flames, fallen off the bike and the tire has yet to fall off the rim.
The only difference between opinions of someone who has never tried a car tire and someone who has, means very little.

Anyone trying to offer their personal experience is just relaying a story. It's anecdotal. It only offers a personal perspective... which is good and has value.

It however does not offer any real proof one way or the other. A positive personal experience is because either car tires are are OK on a motorcycle, OR you just haven't experienced the weaknesses/shortcomings.... yet....

Motorcycle tire argument:
Originally Posted by Markymannn
Well, from the Dunlop site:

Can I use a car tire on the back of my motorcycle?

No. The design of automotive tires and motorcycle tires are very different. The profile of automotive and motorcycle rims are different with a different bead seating area. An automotive tire will not seat properly on a motorcycle rim, making it more susceptible to problems such as rim slip, which can cause balance problems.
Motorcycles are designed specifically with a unique tread profile for leaning over when cornering. Under emergency or extreme maneuvering conditions, an automotive tire on a motorcycle may not allow the bike to handle as it was intended, which can lead to accident, injury or death.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/faq/
The problem with tire manufacturers telling us specific types of tires can ONLY be used in certain applications is also suspect.

It could be they have scientific data forming their opinion, or they are trying to avoid potential liability, or they are taking a stance for marketing purposes to make money. We'll never know the truth behind there admonishments.

If "safety" was the main/only consideration, we wouldn't be riding a motorcycle..... Hell, I'd probably rarely leave the house!

I would like to see a real-world, scientific test comparing the two. Unfortunately, this issue probably isn't big enough for someone to expend the time or money. I'd be willing to bet they are not as "evil" as the one side suggests, nor as "trouble free" as the other side claims......

Life is all about risk v benefit. We are all adults. We evaluate risks and make our decisions based on what we consider to be the benefits.

When it comes to tires on my motorcycles, I care more about the stakes of a tire failure than the odds that it would happen.......

So until I can see a scientific comparison, I'll suffer the extra cost (purchase price & lower mileage) of a motorcycle specific tire.....

Just my 2 cents......

Last edited by hattitude; 12-27-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:14 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,870 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Personal experience is just anecdotal, stories? When ya compile thousands of experiences, all proclaiming success, that doesn't mean something? We are all still waiting for that story of the person who had a problem. Not waiting for the, "a friend of my neighbor" had a problem. That would be the incredible story but I'm sure the naysayers would lean on it much as possible.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:21 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Troo dat. Funny how forums will have clueless nayayers against seasoned users answering all the same old questions over and over until we get bored and leave. I've been gone from here for a couple years and here I see it's not changed one bit!
As the original softtail darksider, I'll mention that I'm still on them, will always be, still ride her on the floorboards. I have a 2 over front end for extra lean, stage 2 engine mods, Ricor Intiminators, and other speed goodies, all with never a negative experience of any kind.
That said, markymann made interesting neutral perceptions of the argument. The last request lifted an eyebrow. I put on rider skills day now and the, teaching the Ride Like a Pro system, and when we added in panic stops, I noticed two things: (1) virtually nobody knows how to panic stop without rear wheel slideout (until practiced], and (2), the CT will outstop any bike rear tire. Period.

Last edited by Quadancer; 12-28-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:27 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 1,129 Posts

My understanding is that a motorcycle tire has a stiffer sidewall than a non run-flat car tire. This is very important for people that tow a pop-up camper. A bike towing a trailer experiences lateral loads. I personally know of one person who was riding a 2014 Ultra, switched to a car tire and had a mishap. He read about all the advantages of a car tire and put one on his bike. He rode around on it for a week without any issues. His first trip towing his pop-up camper, 1/4 mile from his house and the camper started wagging the bike and he dumped the bike. The trailer also flipped and he messed up his elbow and ribs. A similar story was also posted here on the hdforums.
Based on this obviously small sample and what I understand about tires, I'm going to stick with a motorcycle tire. On a somewhat related topic, I'm curious as to how an insurance adjuster would react if he saw a car tire on a motorcycle that's been involved in an accident.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...-the-bike.html

Old 12-28-2015, 09:39 AM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Old thread, but interesting. I noticed when I was debating Dyna Beads that the only people against them were the ones who had never tried them. Anyway, two questions I have to those that use CTs: What kind of mileage longevity do you experience? Also, what effect if any does running a CT have on your MPG?

Old 12-28-2015, 09:59 AM
dodger413
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

ok then.......the debate rages on..................

can riders using car tires give me examples of the brand and car sizes they are using, just in case i want to slide into the dark side ?

hmmm, then my whitewall will only be on ONE side with a car tire !!

Old 12-28-2015, 10:07 AM
SGMongoose
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

is their a car tire alternative for 18" rears? or is it only for 16"?

Old 12-28-2015, 10:30 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I would probablly be game to try one, since I have the giant rear wheel. But Wide White Walls are more important to me at this point. And that's not available on a car tire.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:23 AM
77Tulsa
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best reason so far not to use a car tire!

Originally Posted by dodger413
ok then.......the debate rages on..................

can riders using car tires give me examples of the brand and car sizes they are using, just in case i want to slide into the dark side ?

hmmm, then my whitewall will only be on ONE side with a car tire !!
If you want white walls it would only be on one side!!!

I like my black wall car tire very much though.!!!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:58 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

I cannot believe that some people think it could be OK to use a car tire on a motorcycle. What part of car tire don't you idiots understand?

Why I read that some guy heard that WW2 was started by a car tire on a motorcycle! Everyone knows that if you have a car tire on your motorcycle that you risk the the 100% chance of spontaneous combustion! I heard that guys who ride dark side have to buy their kids rain coats because all the other kids spit on them!

Is this what you want? Well is it? It is a proven fact that every single person who has ever put a car tire on their bike died with in 23 minutes of trying it. Are you dumb enough to disbelieve these facts that I have laid out before you?

I just can't imagine that anyone would..... errr.... ummmm,.....nevermind.

Quick Reply: Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??