Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Red9
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Regardless, it obviously works for quite a few, but not only is no bike sold that way, the mounting process is compromised due to modification.

Mounted the CT myself with two spoons, no machine... two spoons!
Went onto the rim as easy as any motorcycle tire I have ever mounted.
Rode the bike as hard into the twisties as I ever have (floorboards will attest to that) and never had any issue with the bead.

Plus... I ride through whatever conditions are present including rain. The tire handled better than any MT I have ever had on a bike (been riding since the 70's). Absolutely no issue with hydroplaning (due to lower weight of the rear of the bike compared to a car lol) and you won't believe the shortened stopping distance.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
That's a flat compression, not angled. Aren't there also mpg penalties for CTs? I'm curious about that.
apparently some CT's are even lighter than MT's and vice-versa. No real damage to fuel mileage, none with my Comtrac at all. Haven't seen many posts about FE, but I'll assume you could lose some if you went with the super fattest tire that you could, as many do. I think this would enhance the crossover effect and negatively affect handling somewhat, but I've only run the Comtrac at 175mm comparing to my 150 stocker. Same weight, better handling, slight crossover but you don't even notice it after a hundred miles. I can change lanes or ride cones with the best of them, and regularly swerve manholes, potholes, grease spots and morons.
I hadn't seen that thread (or it didn't open last time). I just did the same thing, the Kumho's are softer on my Audi than the front tire on my SG. Considering they are within the same age of each other, seems valid enough. Can't tell with the link, but point taken. I don't how well it correlates to adhesion however.
It simply does, I'm assuming that it's because the ratio of contact patch to soft grip is greater than a smaller patch (with more PSI/sq.in.) with less grip. Everyone notices massive traction increases. (THOSE WHO TRY IT.)
Regarding sidewall flex, I'm referring to leaning. I'm told, and it appears, the sidewall will curl to the outside. In otherwords, when turning left, the left sidewall will curl outward, allowing for more contact patch.
Semantics. We think of "inside" as the inside of a turn. And if the tire did not compress, it would rise up on the sidewall. Let's also consider that the center bulges somewhat at speed, adding to contact area.
What I haven't seen, looking at some videos, is a bike two up, taking 65-80mph sweepers or any Dragon footage at speed. I would be interested however.
You and me BOTH brothah! I'm sick of tame cornering vids with overinflated CT's, when those who find the sweet spot pressure will almost always be under 35-36. Mine is noticably half on the deck at 36, now I run even less, as I've gotten used to it and don't any more mistake settling for squirming. No need for more pressure for passengers either; handles the same, like on rails.
Regardless, it obviously works for quite a few, but not only is no bike sold that way, the mounting process is compromised due to modification, and probably highly dangerous and compromised for any track day for a bike leaning at 35-50 degrees. We'll never see that on our touring bikes, that's for sure.
To each their own, I'm staying with my MT.
...not that there's anything wrong with that...
All is fine when the sun is out and the proper amount of air is in either type, but as both tires deflate (from the random screw or nail) which one will be more controllable as one slows and pulls onto the shoulder? If car tires have more flexible sidwalls, intuitively I would think that the scooter would be more difficult to keep upright as it wobbles and slides from one side of the sidewalls to the other before a directional input takes effect. I don't buy tires with the idea that they will go flat, but I would hope that MC tires have been designed with the idea of maintaining control at least to allow a controlled stop in mind.
Not by experience, but by much reading, I'll say that the CT will go down slower for the same size hole by volume of air, and will act very much like a MT on the slowdown. Rule is still the same; keep speed up for centrifugal force until time to stop (I have ridden 6 miles on a MT flat) and then stop quickly with braking on the other wheel. Bike tires will wobble horribly just the same. A CT has more rubber in the tread and will less likely be punctured as well.
I believe run flat car tires require special mounting equipment which most likely wouldn't handle MC wheels with the relatively tiny center holes.
I don't want to run them, but many do. Stiffer sidewalls are reported, so less pressure is required to keep tread down. My opinion is, how do you know you have a flat until you're compressing a sidewall in a sweeper, if you don't have a TPMS system? As I said, on a BIKE, you can run any tire flat by keeping speed up. (from my experience, twice) I wouldn't try to get HOME on it though - should heat up and blow apart.
Make no mistake: I did NOT say "always". If you had a tire go down at lower speeds, you would have a handling problem. BUT...short of a blowout, you'd have early warning when it started to get squirrely and could stop before it was flat - especially with the extra air in a CT.

Last edited by Quadancer; 01-24-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:18 AM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All I know is my side of the story. I have had a car tire on my 2011 RK for around 25k and when I traded for the 2013 flhtc I got 9k from stock tire. same as the RK. Had two flats with the RK on original tire and one on the original on the flhtc That is sick and I went back to ct on the 2013 flhtc.
I have 22K on the car tire . No flats!

I believe they ride better and handle as well as the originals if not better.
And they DO NOT roll over on the side walls!! I believe around 50k miles on the car tires gives them and me a little credibility!

I am not a racer so down and dirty is not a way I ride but that said I love curves and have the chrome scraped off parts of the kickstand and boards.

Think what you want as we all know the earth is flat and you can fall off it ,Right!

Have a good day

Old 12-27-2015, 06:31 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
if you like going in a straight line then maybe a car tire is fine but you can be sure of one thing. If your into a sweeping turn at 60 or higher and roll on the throttle of even let off it, the side walls will not stay rigid like a bike tire and will most likely cause a speed wobble as the dynamics of the tire changes. The side walls of a CT are not designed for angled torque like a BT.
having said that, do what you want with your life, frankly, I don't give a hoot, but be careful about recommending them so highly, as in the (sue happy) world of North America, it may come back and bite you in the ****.

Just curious,have you had a car tire on your bike and experienced what you described?

Old 12-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

A friend's bike I rode has a car tire. The bike handles nicely in a straight line. When I turned corners or rode curves, I did not like the choppy handling when moving from the flat bottom surface of the tire to the edge.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:27 AM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

I never noticed what you speak of Geoff. Had a general on a vulcan & loved it. 1st think I wanted to do to my hog was go darkside was shocked how little it was talked about on here. I asked about a tire for my 99 & got zero replies. I soon realized myself there just is not room for one as the belt don't allow room. CT is all about traction. The only true negative is it does require more input to turn like mentioned this is do to more traction. It's like a snowmobile with a track with more traction like rip saw or longer track will not turn as easy. You soon get used to this as bikes are so nimble that the small amount you lose is not going to matter on any cruiser, especially a 900lb hog.

Last edited by xcbullet; 12-27-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:44 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I carry a Stop n Go Plug kit and a small compressor. It's there in case I get a flat and also to help out someone on the road. Had to use it once, worked great!

http://www.stopngo.com/

Old 12-27-2015, 12:09 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,870 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Resurrected from the past but still a valid topic. Those who have never tried it but seem to have all the answers about a CT on a motorcycle.
I've been running CTs since 1978. Had em on rigid frame and baggers. All the same, great ride, wears longer, handles just as well as an MT and costs less than a MT.
My current CT has 14K on it and still looks good. I would typically go through a Venom 200mm rear tire in about 4K. I still haven't died, burst into flames, fallen off the bike and the tire has yet to fall off the rim. I've had two flats from punctures on the current CT while running at freeway speed. I had to wiggle the bike to be sure it was flat before pulling off the road.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Well, from the Dunlop site:

Can I use a car tire on the back of my motorcycle?

No. The design of automotive tires and motorcycle tires are very different. The profile of automotive and motorcycle rims are different with a different bead seating area. An automotive tire will not seat properly on a motorcycle rim, making it more susceptible to problems such as rim slip, which can cause balance problems.
Motorcycles are designed specifically with a unique tread profile for leaning over when cornering. Under emergency or extreme maneuvering conditions, an automotive tire on a motorcycle may not allow the bike to handle as it was intended, which can lead to accident, injury or death.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/faq/

Old 12-27-2015, 07:30 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,870 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Markymannn
Well, from the Dunlop site:

Can I use a car tire on the back of my motorcycle?

No. The design of automotive tires and motorcycle tires are very different. The profile of automotive and motorcycle rims are different with a different bead seating area. An automotive tire will not seat properly on a motorcycle rim, making it more susceptible to problems such as rim slip, which can cause balance problems.
Motorcycles are designed specifically with a unique tread profile for leaning over when cornering. Under emergency or extreme maneuvering conditions, an automotive tire on a motorcycle may not allow the bike to handle as it was intended, which can lead to accident, injury or death.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/faq/
Have you actually ridden a motorcycle with a car tire and had a problem with it or are you just telling us something that someone else said?

Quick Reply: Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??