Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,387 Likes on 959 Posts

Unless you ride a Valkyrie do not even think about going to the "DarkSide".

Attached Thumbnails Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??-vt.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Ahhhh...don't we just LOVE those totally uneducated posts from the "crash and burn" crowd? It seems that they are able to type a bit, but unable to read.
Fortunately for us Darksiders, we were able to read, digest, investigate, and cross over. Catch my Heritage in the twisties of N. Ga. ...if you can. No chicken strip on my FRONT tires. Nor for Smokin' Joe in the pic above - one of 4000+ Valk and Wing riders on them.
Nor will ANY of us go back, because PERFORMANCE is off the chain...seems that the MC tire industry has been selling coolaid for a very long time - at quite a profit margin compared to CT's.
Drink the Coolaid. Keep the nonexistent fires out. No one's trying to convince you, ESPECIALLY since you don't read up. Stay in the middle, don't take "chances", be "safe", and tuck in that shirt!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Oh man..here we go another discussion about CT's.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Uhhh...and WHAT thread did you think you were in?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this not the 120mph in third gear thread???!!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
First, 9,000 miles is a major exaggeration. Dual compound tires are reporting 15,000+ miles.
And CT's are regularly getting over 20-30K for a lot less, if that's the reason for riding them.
I would rather have the narrower contact patch of an MT than the wider, flat contact patch of a CT with the potentially lighter weight of the motorcycle on the rear tire. (3500-4300lbs/4 CTs vs. 1100lbs/2 MTs with rear bias) in the rain, that's for sure. Now if the tread is better at hydro-management, that would be interesting to learn about.
Hundreds of posts deferring to this very fact: they stick in the rain, and even cornering wet.

I agree, and no one has proven to me that CT car tires are softer than MT but I'm certainly open to the data.
Seems like I'd given you this thread before, but here it is again: http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t557-durometer-test-on-205-and-dunniepics-added?highlight=durometer

And I'd rather not ride on a CT whose sidewall must flex by rolling to the outside in order to maintain a decent contact patch. The CT fans seem to be long-distance interstate riders, lots of straights.
FAR from it! If you'd been on the DS forums, you'd find a generous host of riders loving the way they handle the twisties. Go sit around the Dragon some day and watch what comes through - you'll see quite a few Darksiders if you're looking. And they flex the inside sidewall, not the outside. Compress is a better word. They do it because they are designed to do it.
On that note, they are designed to do far more than just "flex":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbYzhpURFDU

Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
[FONT=Fixedsys][COLOR=DarkRed]FAR from it! If you'd been on the DS forums, you'd find a generous host of riders loving the way they handle the twisties. Go sit around the Dragon some day and watch what comes through - you'll see quite a few Darksiders if you're looking. And they flex the inside sidewall, not the outside. Compress is a better word. They do it because they are designed to do it.
On that note, they are designed to do far more than just "flex":
That's a flat compression, not angled. Aren't there also mpg penalties for CTs? I'm curious about that.

I hadn't seen that thread (or it didn't open last time). I just did the same thing, the Kumho's are softer on my Audi than the front tire on my SG. Considering they are within the same age of each other, seems valid enough. Can't tell with the link, but point taken. I don't how well it correlates to adhesion however.

Regarding sidewall flex, I'm referring to leaning. I'm told, and it appears, the sidewall will curl to the outside. In otherwords, when turning left, the left sidewall will curl outward, allowing for more contact patch.

What I haven't seen, looking at some videos, is a bike two up, taking 65-80mph sweepers or any Dragon footage at speed. I would be interested however.

Regardless, it obviously works for quite a few, but not only is no bike sold that way, the mounting process is compromised due to modification, and probably highly dangerous and compromised for any track day for a bike leaning at 35-50 degrees. We'll never see that on our touring bikes, that's for sure.

To each their own, I'm staying with my MT.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 01-23-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

Having a pre-09 I guess I don't have a dog in this fight. Just curious about the difference in sidewalls, from a different perspective. All is fine when the sun is out and the proper amount of air is in either type, but as both tires deflate (from the random screw or nail) which one will be more controllable as one slows and pulls onto the shoulder? If car tires have more flexible sidwalls, intuitively I would think that the scooter would be more difficult to keep upright as it wobbles and slides from one side of the sidewalls to the other before a directional input takes effect. I don't buy tires with the idea that they will go flat, but I would hope that MC tires have been designed with the idea of maintaining control at least to allow a controlled stop in mind. In a cage, driving across a flat tire first in one direction, then in the other usually won't cause the vehicle to tip over. (Presuming it's not an Explorer running on Firestones)

I believe run flat car tires require special mounting equipment which most likely wouldn't handle MC wheels with the relatively tiny center holes.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I would think a run flat, with extra stiff sidewalls, would have even less tread (and tread not designed for lean angles) than a standard CT. It will also be heavier than a standard CT.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:30 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Having a pre-09 I guess I don't have a dog in this fight. Just curious about the difference in sidewalls, from a different perspective. All is fine when the sun is out and the proper amount of air is in either type, but as both tires deflate (from the random screw or nail) which one will be more controllable as one slows and pulls onto the shoulder? If car tires have more flexible sidwalls, intuitively I would think that the scooter would be more difficult to keep upright as it wobbles and slides from one side of the sidewalls to the other before a directional input takes effect. I don't buy tires with the idea that they will go flat, but I would hope that MC tires have been designed with the idea of maintaining control at least to allow a controlled stop in mind. In a cage, driving across a flat tire first in one direction, then in the other usually won't cause the vehicle to tip over. (Presuming it's not an Explorer running on Firestones)

I believe run flat car tires require special mounting equipment which most likely wouldn't handle MC wheels with the relatively tiny center holes.
Pre 09! Go get your dog! LOL

Quick Reply: Damm Flat Tire.. move to the Darkside??