Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21" Wheels--How Does the Bike Handle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 AM
StanfordMan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21" Wheels--How Does the Bike Handle?

I want to put chrome wheels on my Street Glide, but I'm struggling with what size is best. I want to accentuate the appearance of the wheel, which is much better with a 21" wheel; but I don't want to sacrifice ride comfort or handling performance. I've heard that the bigger wheels with lower profile tires make for a harder ride. Makes sense because there is less rubber between the road and the wheel. I've also heard that you lose some handling performance with the skinnier tire that goes on a 21" wheel. (e.g., the front tire can get a little squirrely on the freeway when the tire hits grooves in the road; and the bike doesn't handle as solidly in twisty turns.) How much will a 21" front wheel change the riding performance on a Street Glide? Is it a non-issue? What do people think is the best combination of wheel and tire size that shows off the chrome wheel nicely and still retains the awesome ride and handling performance that the HD Touring bikes are known for?