Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went for a ride--Got VERY nervous

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010 | 02:37 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Never look down or anywhere else you do not want to go. The bike will go wherever you are looking. Wanna go down? Look there...Glad you're ok!

Old 08-09-2010 | 08:58 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

There was an old marine at our "rider improvement day" where I taught our club the RLAP techniques. He couldn't participate because his back brake was broken (I didn't know at the time that some cop programs teach this with NO brakes at all!).
On the sidelines, he coined a phrase that has helped me keep my focus and mentally train to look where I'm going.
He said look at your "ESCAPE routes". That of course, also means looking slightly ABOVE, but the terms stayed with me.
Having 2 years racing dirt bikes, I probably had a good edge on this, but we didn't go slow, ever; it was all rip and shred. So despite being one of the better riders, I had less parking lot skill than I thought I did, until getting and practicing the RLAP. The difference in your riding is really phenomenal. I hear the MSF course is about the same.
I changed riding clubs due to slow and inexperienced riders in the first. That gets aggravating when you wanna ride, but I'm happy with the guys in our chapter now; not crazy but definitely not slow. Beginners shouldn't be riding in formations. Period. Unless it's one of those type clubs, and even that with a lot of instruction.
End Rant.

Last edited by Quadancer; 08-09-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-09-2010 | 09:20 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

From years of riding dirt bikes, I've found that fatigue get's me looking closer to the tire.
When I see myself doing it - I force myself to look ahead.
I'm not ashamed to admit I've done it on road bikes too. I force myself to look ahead or get off and rest.
You're lucky you made it out on top, and obviously learned your lesson!
All the "professional" riders on here will have you believe they've NEVER made mistakes in their 3000 mile career's!

Old 08-09-2010 | 10:09 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain

I only have one thing to add. GRAVEL! I look down briefly before entering a turn to see if any loose gravel or objects are in the path. I then look up through the turn. My riders edge instructor said no to this but I disagreed. He was top notch but ive been down due to gravel in slow speed turn years ago and to me its just common sense.

Old 08-09-2010 | 10:30 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

Now you see what those of us who live in Atlanta have to deal with. Thank goodness, they let us use the HOV lanes on the Interstate (which by the way is next to the wall).

Old 08-09-2010 | 10:49 AM
tbear
Intermediate

One suggestion for ya MSF course

Old 08-09-2010 | 10:54 AM
karate joe
Advanced

I think its a miracle he drove thru Atlanta and there was no traffic. When does that ever happen?

Old 08-09-2010 | 11:16 AM
Better Lifestyle Rider
Novice

First of all, I'm glad to are here to write about it. Second, keep watching the Ride like a pro series.

I have now started to ride again after many years and I knew I should treat my return as if I never rode.

I've taken MSF course three times, purchased and continue to practice the Ride like a pro series. I've learned that the basic skills we need to survive on a bike are nothing to forget, not even for a second.

It's good to know you have learned from that experience so as to not repeat it again.

All the best

Old 08-09-2010 | 01:23 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

I tend to target fixate on the hot girl in the car next to me. I keep trying look where I want to go but I don't ever seem to wind up with her.

It does take guts to post about a mistake. Its good info. MSF or other rider course will help just about anyone improve their skills.

Old 08-09-2010 | 01:48 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser

Interestingly enough, riding motorcycles isn't the only sport where "looking where you want to go" is the best rule. I was getting into whitewater kayaking about 3-4 years ago, and was on a river with some very experienced kayakers. We were entering a particularly nasty rapid, and one of the guys told me to avoid a certain huge boulder on river right. What do I do? I stare at this frigging rock until I run my boat right up it's face! Took a wild flip and head bashing (on my helmet), luckily I came through it all safe and sound. Learned my lesson then, and still carry it on everything I do.
I am glad your lesson wasn't as spectacular as mine...
Ride safe!