Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went for a ride--Got VERY nervous

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010 | 07:44 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

If you had a bike with a batwing fairing, you wouldn't look at your front tire.

Old 08-08-2010 | 08:00 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1HarleyGuy1
I have a feeling that this kind of thing has happened to others.

I started to ride about 35 years ago and then didn't do a lot of riding for the last 25 years. Finally retired from being an LEO and bought myself an Electra-Classic in 2005. I thought I was an OK rider and things would be good.
A friend and I planned a trip to the All Harley drag races in Reynolds Georgia. We left Toronto and all was good. I never realized that I had gotten in a VERY bad habit, that is, looking down to my front tire during corners.
It came to be a real problem when we started riding through Atlanta Georgia. We were southbound and all seemed well. Then we started into the section of the highway where the roadway wa surrounded by very large concrete walls. I started getting the feeling of being "surrounded" by these walls.
Anyway, we were just starting though the Atlanta section and I was riding in the very right lane (either 4 or 5 full lanes of south-bound traffic) Sure enough, I starting taking the turns while looking down at the front tire of my bike. At one point I actually slowed down and started dragging my right foot and I gradually moved accross all 4-5 lanes of the traffic. I managed to get my bearings and finally made the right turn (it was only about a 30% turn to the left. I found myself in the fast lane and as luck would have it, the traffic was light and no-one hit me.
That scared the crap out of me!!!!!!
My buddy had pulled over about a mile up the road and at first he was giving me the gears for not being able to ride. I took off my helmut and saw the look on my face.
I told him what happened and after making sure I was ok, he gave me the biggest lecture about not looking down EVER. He told me that if was having a front tire go down, he would Fu@@ing tell me about it.
It cured a lot but I still get the "nerves" when heading throught the concrete mazing of interstates.

The moral, DON'T start staring at the front tire, look ahead and all will be well. It has gotten me through a lot of this type of highway even though I still get the nerves in those tunnel-like areas of city roads.

1HarleyGuy!
I'm glad you got through that ok. That experience is exactly what was was talking about in another post a few days ago when someone else posted that he didn't think it necessary to take an MSF course for people that have been riding for several years. I'm sure you thought you knew how to rider safely but as you have learned, you should never look where you are. Always look ahead where you are going. As you almost found out, that's one of the things that get riders into trouble.

Don't let it discourage you and I appreciate your being honest about an almost bad experience.

Old 08-08-2010 | 08:03 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

I had rode for years before I took the MSF course. I learned something there, that I wasn't looking FAR enough ahead in the corners! After I started applying that info, my cornering is better yet. If anything I find myself getting too tight to the inside of the corner, not going wide!

So looking too close infront even, let alone your front tire! will cause you trouble in the corners...
Glad you made it ok, and lived to learn from your "Mistake"
God Bless!

I plan on taking the Experienced rider course this summer, and see what I can learn. (The Guard pays for it, so I may as well)

Old 08-08-2010 | 08:12 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimTJr
I had rode for years before I took the MSF course. I learned something there, that I wasn't looking FAR enough ahead in the corners! After I started applying that info, my cornering is better yet. If anything I find myself getting too tight to the inside of the corner, not going wide!

So looking too close infront even, let alone your front tire! will cause you trouble in the corners...
Glad you made it ok, and lived to learn from your "Mistake"
God Bless!

I plan on taking the Experienced rider course this summer, and see what I can learn. (The Guard pays for it, so I may as well)
It actually help you find those pot hole before you hit them. You sometimes can't see the pot holes until you're almost right on them but it will give you a lot better odds when you see them in advance.

You will benefit taking the MSF course. Thanks for making the right choice.

Old 08-08-2010 | 08:22 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

I'm still trying to figure out how you are looking at your front tire.
I have tried to look at mine going down the highway to see if it's a little low on air and I can't see the damn thing at all, let alone driving in a corner.

Old 08-08-2010 | 08:59 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

+20 or whatever on the Experienced Rider Course. I took it 10 years ago and they found a couple of bad habits, relearned some I knew but was getting lax about.

I have been thinking it is time to go again especially now that the wife has 6 years of riding. I figure if I go she will too and you know it is always better to have a 3rd party direct the wife where possible.

Old 08-08-2010 | 11:55 AM
Damascus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Quadancer
The reason I said what I did is because I know of several riders who OWN the RLAP video and still duckwalk or foot drag their bikes around and do 3-point turns in tight spots. Watching the DVD will not instill the skill. You MUST get out and practice it.
Very well said.

10 different bikes and I still practice figure 8's before every ride - especially on my Harley which is the least nimble of all the ones I've owned.

High speed/twisties/back roads - no problem - but I'll be damned if a slow speed/parking lot/tight U-turn doesn't jump up and bite me once in a while when I get lazy with the basics, and, yep, I have the video.

Old 08-08-2010 | 12:44 PM
Feedsack
Cruiser

It takes a strong individual to write about a mistake that he made in order to help those who could be making that same mistake.
Let me tell all youall a story about me.
I joined a poular riding group and they normally ask your milage on your bike before you ride with them and from what i understand before every ride with that group. I only had 200 miles on my motorcycle and they were testing me to see if i fit in with their group. After the ride the person who was behind me told me that I needed to practice riding more and that he thought i shouldnt be riding in a group as i was too slow in the corners and switch backs.
I called him an *** hole and left.
You know i practiced after reviewing the ride like a pro videos and other videos and read all that i could about riding and the styles and whatever I could.
I even took and paid for a LEO course that my older son got me into.
Today I ride thousands of times better than before and all because of an *******.

Last edited by Feedsack; 08-08-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: no reason
Old 08-08-2010 | 01:05 PM
hucks 08
Road Captain

very well said ,im always looking for inprovements.them parking lots still get me too.

Old 08-08-2010 | 01:26 PM
klap
Road Master

..it's called target fixation..do a google search..lots of info..

Quick Reply: Went for a ride--Got VERY nervous