Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went for a ride--Got VERY nervous

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010 | 10:03 PM
DaveMK
Road Master

You can ride in Toronto but not Atlanta?????

Old 08-07-2010 | 10:36 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1HarleyGuy1
I have watched the Ride like a Pro numerous times and am still learning.
I am 100% more confident now than what I was.

I am not ashamed to admit that the Atlanta ride scared the cr#p out of me.

Ride safe

1HarleyGuy!
The reason I said what I did is because I know of several riders who OWN the RLAP video and still duckwalk or foot drag their bikes around and do 3-point turns in tight spots. Watching the DVD will not instill the skill.
You MUST get out and practice it.

Old 08-07-2010 | 11:02 PM
woods
Cruiser

My eyes are constantly searching between traffic, road issues, mirrors and scenery that I never thought about looking at the tire!
I am going on a ride in the twisties tomorrow morning. Hopefully this post won't come into my thoughts

All in all it sounds like you had a minor panic attack.
hope the issue doesn't keep you from enjoying riding.

Old 08-07-2010 | 11:10 PM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Get thee to a clear parking lot and PRACTICE. Keep your head up and LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. Just get comfortable with the bike, find that friction zone and keep tension on the bike via rear brake. Do NOT touch the front brake whatsoever.

Look down, GO down. Humans are wired to follow what we see. See that curb coming up...fixate on it....and you'll HIT it. Our innate instincts don't work too well on a motorcycle sometimes.

A MSF course or RLAP videos are highly recommended. There is video on Youtube of a 15 year old girl throwing a cop glide around like it's a toy. Impressive, and proof positive that it's technique that matters, not age, gender, or strength.

Hang in there.

Old 08-07-2010 | 11:13 PM
1HarleyGuy1
|
Tourer
Default Changed

I am very happy to say that I had 1 really bad experience and it cured me from looking down instead of keeping my eyes up and scanning. I can now do full uturns/circles on smaller roads because I have learned to look up and into the middle of the turn.
I was very lucky.
Just a pre-caution for the newer riders to keep looking at where you're going, not where the front tire is!!!!

1HarleyGuy1

Old 08-07-2010 | 11:15 PM
1HarleyGuy1
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by DaveMK
You can ride in Toronto but not Atlanta?????
I know it sounds stupid. I get into the concrete lined "canyons" and feel myself getting nervous!!

1HarleyGuy1

Old 08-07-2010 | 11:43 PM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't be nervous about the concrete walls, be nervous about your cam chain tensioners, valve seals, belt drive.....

Old 08-07-2010 | 11:47 PM
990rtracer
Road Captain

Can't add anything other than best advice that is posted here already, head and eyes focusing were you want to go and never look down. I found recently how effective it is in slow tight turn situations and surprised my self how tight a circle I can turn on my Ultra, just NEVER look at the ground!

Old 08-07-2010 | 11:51 PM
hucks 08
Road Captain

RIDE LIKE A PRO,THATS ALL I CAN SAY,dvd

Old 08-08-2010 | 07:31 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

I can honestly say, if I let the boards scrape, I can pull the Heritage around in 17 feet. But not every time yet. I can do 18 all the time - mighty handy when the group is turning around on a side road. You'll be the only one waiting on everyone else to finish repointing and wiggling.
I think the hardest part of learning "head and eyes" was looking above the escape routes instead of at the pavement, but you "see" so much more. Of course, THIS is what applies in the twisties and keeps you on the part of the lane you want. Also, the practice of entering a turn properly determines how you exit, slow or fast stuff.

Hucks: that crashbar, toolbox, p-board combo looks GOOD on the Herry! Maybe someday when I get some work...!

Quick Reply: Went for a ride--Got VERY nervous