Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 speed v 6 speed questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:53 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 5 speed v 6 speed questions

My ex wife has an '05 FatBoy and my son has on '06 RK. I ride both of these bikes fairly regularly as I do the maintenance on them. Obviously, both of these bikes are 5 speed transmissions, while my own '09 Ultra is a 6 speed.
There is a significant difference in the 'feel' and noise associated with selecting gears between the 5 speed and the 6 speed. For instance, selecting 1st gear on either of the 5 speeds results in a nice solid 'thunk' while selecting 1st gear on my Ultra results in a nasty, metallic, crashing crunch.
Besides the obvious inclusion of an additional gear ratio, can anyone tell me what other differences or changes were made to the transmission when HD moved up to a 6 speed? Is there a difference in the compensator, the primary chain tensioner or anything else in the drive train that would explain this big difference?

Old 08-07-2010, 01:04 PM
mnskip
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, congratulations on having a 09 Ultra and your X having a 05 Fatboy. Usually it's the other way around after a divorce. My 08 SG seems to go in gear as your Son and X bikes. The primary chain tensioner is different on your 09, it adjusts automaticly. I would bring yours in to HD and have it checked out assuming it's still under warranty.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:35 PM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nemick
My ex wife has an '05 FatBoy and my son has on '06 RK. I ride both of these bikes fairly regularly as I do the maintenance on them. Obviously, both of these bikes are 5 speed transmissions, while my own '09 Ultra is a 6 speed.
There is a significant difference in the 'feel' and noise associated with selecting gears between the 5 speed and the 6 speed. For instance, selecting 1st gear on either of the 5 speeds results in a nice solid 'thunk' while selecting 1st gear on my Ultra results in a nasty, metallic, crashing crunch.
Besides the obvious inclusion of an additional gear ratio, can anyone tell me what other differences or changes were made to the transmission when HD moved up to a 6 speed? Is there a difference in the compensator, the primary chain tensioner or anything else in the drive train that would explain this big difference?
That 'nasty crunch' should only be heard on the 6 speed after a cold start or if the bike has stood for 15 mins or so (I'm used to the SOB now - the 5 speed was a bit quieter). After a prolonged stop pull the clutch for 5 seconds or more before engaging 1st gear and it should 'snick' in without any noise at all. It's all down to lubricant and clutch drag - better when it's warm............oh and the trannies rattle at idle when warm.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:51 PM
paguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07 RKC. Last week changed out my stock clutch pac for the screaming eagle. Probably shoud have changed out the compensator, but it's a lot easier to change out the pac; discs, plates and spring. It took me three years to realize that the sound you refer to, on my bike, was caused by a weak clutch spring.
Because of mileage I just changed out pac.
That metallic slipping sound is gone and today after six hours on the road clutch was beautiful. It still has the Harley clunk, but it's solid and controlled.