Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Pipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010 | 01:03 AM
rollin_thunder
|
Cruiser
Default Head Pipe Question

I am not looking for any more performance but more for sound. I have V&H Monster Ovals on my 08' FLHX and am wandering if head pipes would do the trick to get a little more sound. I have also read that if you get true duals it helps to move the heat away from your leg? Just looking for any input on anything and everything!!?!?

Old 08-07-2010 | 04:20 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default I'm looking at getting rid of the cat's too

My 09 RK has V&H Monster Ovals as well and my bike craps out at about 4700 rpm. Going to get it remapped and dyno'd this coming thursday but will be looking at either true duals or just new head pipes with no cat's. Only thing I'm concerned about is my warranty after removing the cat's.

Old 08-07-2010 | 05:22 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rollin_thunder
I am not looking for any more performance but more for sound. I have V&H Monster Ovals on my 08' FLHX and am wandering if head pipes would do the trick to get a little more sound. I have also read that if you get true duals it helps to move the heat away from your leg? Just looking for any input on anything and everything!!?!?
I was in the same boat as you. My main reason for going with the V&H dresser duals was because I wanted to get rid of the heat caused by the factory header on the right side. Not only did it get rid of the heat, but it seems to run much better now without all that restriction and sounds like a whole different bike. I had drilled out part of my cat, but looking back at what I did, I believe I caused more harm than good. I wouldn't advise anyone to do that now.

The concensus is that with installing duals, you tend to lose some bottom end. If that is true, I can't tell. Like I said, it seems to run much better now.

Now that I have done it, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend true duals.

I got the Monster Ovals when they first came out and was happy with the sound for a while, then it just became somewhat boring. Will the duals wake them up? I would say so, but don't expect anything too, too loud. That's why I got rid of mine.

It's all pretty much an expensive learning curve until you find the sound and performance you are looking for. I have found the right combo for me. I'll be taking my bike to a dyno this Tuesday to make sure it's running at it's optimum. After that, I'm done with that aspect of my bike.

Good luck with yours.

Old 08-07-2010 | 05:25 AM
StonerGlide
Road Master

Match up a set of V&H Dresser Dual head pipes for your ride. That should give you a bit of a sound increase!
Will caution you though with after market pipes and the ovals you would be best to go ahead and get the SE Stage I air cleaner and fuel management of some sort. Once you make changes to stock config it will get to where you "should" do a few of these other mods. Fuel management device will make a big difference in the heat issue along with changing the head pipes and getting rid of that crossover pipe. With just those few changes and a good tune on the scoot you will be very happy with the bang for the buck.
I know you were not looking for more performance but some changes necessitate others and it is more like putting the bike to where it should be instead of how it comes stock. Factory can't do this and still pass EPA regs in order to sell the bike unfortunately.
Best changes I made were the Dresser Duals and a set of 3.5" D&D slip-ons, the Stage I A/C and a Screamin Eagle Super Tuner. I then spent a day with a good friend of mine with the right equipment and put a good tune on her. No more heat issues and for a pretty much stock 96 she runs like a striped azz ape. A change of cams is next but hey that's just me

Old 08-07-2010 | 07:39 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

I'm assuming you have a 2008 model, when I had my 2008 Street Glide my right foot was always hot. I would ride all the time with my right foot on the highway peg (even in town).
So I put on the "Vance & Hines Dual header pipes" and it solved all my heat issues on the right side. I never had to use the highway pegs because of the heat off the pipes after that.

You have two different mufflers listed, one in your post and another one in you sig.
V&H Twin Slash Monsters and V&H Monster Ovals are two different mufflers, which one do you have?

Old 08-07-2010 | 08:17 AM
navyman
Road Master

I have the configuration in my signature. Adding the V&H dual head pipes does increase the sound on the MO's and also eliminates the heat on the right side. My wife blistered her right ankle prior to the change. No issues now.

Old 08-07-2010 | 09:05 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior

I have a set of Khrome Werks 200600 under slung head pipes ordered for my '03, hopefully production is running and I can get them before the ride season closes out. These look to be the best bet to remove heat for my ride and gain a little more pop in the Monster Ovals I currently have.

Old 08-07-2010 | 10:54 AM
Lama
Road Captain

Khrome Werks has a new headpipe that looks/acts just like the 2009+ headpipe, routes the exhaust under the swingarm, gets heat away from you and your passenger:

http://www.khromewerks.com/

Old 08-07-2010 | 12:32 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

I love my true duals for three reasons: sound, performance, and heat reduction on my right leg.

A lot of the guys who tell you that going to true duals will result in a loss of low end power are just repeating something that's been said over and over on the forum. Many of them don't even have any hands-on experience with the exhaust system they are talking about.

I'm running the old style Bub Rinehart true dual exhaust on my bike, and there isn't any loss of low end power vs the stock y-pipe headers. In fact, it feels stronger at all rpms, with a modest increase at lower rpms, and a noticible increase at higher rpms. It's also decreased right side heat and increased sound levels a bit.

I had the fullsac conversion and that worked pretty good, but the Rinehart stepped headers are the real deal.

Old 08-07-2010 | 12:47 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

To answer your question, yes to everything. I have the MO with TD's, I didnt have the opportunity to compare before and after sounds but recently went to a police roadeo, there was a bike with V&H Ovals (not monster) with stock head pipes, it sounded good but I noticed how quiet it was compared to my buddies that had the same mufflers with TD's. The header pipes do make it louder. FWIW

Quick Reply: Head Pipe Question