Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand position to get rid of neck pain

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010 | 10:36 AM
rogerfromco
|
Road Master
Default Hand position to get rid of neck pain

Let me start off by saying that I am not looking for bar recommendations because everyone has their favorites and the right bar for a person depends on seat, arm length, bike model, etc.

I changed out my bars on the RG to the Heritage bars and they are much more comfortable than the stock ones for me, but I still get some (much less) tension in the neck and across the shoulder blades. I was talking to a friend who works for an HD service department about this and he recommended I sit on the bike, close my eyes and reach out to what feels like a natural position to see where my hands should be. After doing this I was surprised to see it was about 2 inches closer and a little bit (1") narrower grip. The narrower makes since now that I think about it because as you move your hands in, the shoulder blades spread, which reduces the pinching. So before I change bars again, I think I'll rotate them down a bit to bring them closer to me and see if that helps.

Has anyone heard the same advice on fitting bars properly?

Old 08-06-2010 | 10:44 AM
mrblister
Elite HDF Member

I stopped getting that pain after I had my Russell seat built.

Old 08-06-2010 | 10:54 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior

As mrblister said a change of seat is one option.

Also you probably need to relax your shoulders when you ride and/or rounding out your back....basically slouch a bit.

If you think your bars are to close then you need to bend your elbows more.

Old 08-06-2010 | 10:57 AM
SA315B
Road Captain

Have you ever had a whip-lash? If yes then you need to move your hands down and back.

Old 08-06-2010 | 11:14 AM
Richard K.
Intermediate

I used to have neck pain until I learned to loosen my grip and not keep my arms so stiff when riding. Basically, just relax.

Old 08-06-2010 | 11:18 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

Not to try to hijack the thread, but I sure do like the color of your bike Richard.

Dennis

Old 08-06-2010 | 11:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
So before I change bars again, I think I'll rotate them down a bit to bring them closer to me and see if that helps.

Has anyone heard the same advice on fitting bars properly?
I have been riding my Glide for twenty years now, with the stock bars, but couldn't get comfortable when it was new. It took me months to pluck up courage just to adjust the bars, when I found much as you describe, that rolling them a couple of inches closer was just right. I'm happy as Larry now (who ever he may be!) and we tour for two weeks at a time with no significant discomfort.

So I haven't heard that advice as you describe it, but the solution is good. You may find the inch difference in width is not as important as getting the bars a little closer. Is there enough bar going spare for you trim half an inch off both ends?

Old 08-06-2010 | 11:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by Richard K.
I used to have neck pain until I learned to loosen my grip and not keep my arms so stiff when riding. Basically, just relax.
My wife had that problem with her current bike (a Dyna). You may find rolling your bars a bit closer to you will help. Think of it as dropping your elbows a little.

Last edited by grbrown; 08-06-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 08-06-2010 | 11:58 AM
rogerfromco
|
Road Master

Thanks for a good start guys. To answer a few questions:

1) Have a custom seat from Bitchn Stitchn cut just for my body shape with a good gel insert. No pressure points whatsoever.
2) I have a back rest and do ride relaxed. One handed a lot of times while cruising because it takes away the pinch between my shoulder blades.
3) No death grip - very relaxed. Been riding since I was 12.
4) Never had whiplash.

Try a little experiment with me. Hold your arms by your side, elbows slightly bent, hands like you are holding the grips and resting on your thighs. Raise your arms slowly out in front of you. At some point you'll feel your shoulder blades start to move/pinch to accommodate this motion. For me, it's about a few inches above parallel to the ground.

This translates loosely to the advice about closing your eyes and looking for the neutral grip position while sitting on the bike. From the eyes closed position to reaching for my grips, which are slightly higher and a little bit wider, I feel my shoulder blades start to come together. I think this is what's causing the pain, so I'm looking for a more neutral grip position.

Old 08-06-2010 | 12:21 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Bar and seat combo - only way to fix your problem - Problem is what works for one will not work for another - we are all different. IF you can not get a custom seat then work on the bars

Iam a short rider and when I had my RG, I used the wild1 517 and LOVED them - In fact, I loved them so much that when I went back to the FLHT bike - I really missed my 517 feel - ended up with a Flanders that is about the same feel - the ONLY way you are going to get that much pull back is with a 517 grip - some people love it - others hate it... I can not say how you will work with it.. everyone here has their on thoughts and man are they different, you will soon learn that.

good luck.

Not a great picture but you can at least get an idea

517's

Last edited by harley0711; 08-06-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Hand position to get rid of neck pain