Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paid my "photo-cop" ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 PM
sbergerson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paid my "photo-cop" ticket

Riding from Minnesota to Colorado and back through the Black Hills. What a wonderful 2,500 miles.... Until.... we get home and find a greeting card from Boulder, Colorado.

Three pictures of mine and my dads bikes going through an intersection where the light had turned red. My dad got a $75 ticket and I didn't. He blamed it on me for going through the amber light, and he was following to keep up and obviously tripped the red light camera.

I told dad I would pay the fine for him... Just to get him to quit bitching.

Went to the bank and bought 7,500 pennies. The kids and I cracked open 150 rolls of pennies into a USPS flat rate box. When all was said and done, we had 43 Lbs. of pennies in the box. I threw the ticket on top and mailed it off to Boulder.

The money they saved in having an actual policeman at the intersection is going to be made up bringing my box to the bank and depositing them into their account... I can't imagine the look on the face of the person who received my payment.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

HAHAAHA excellent!

i was gonna go spend a day in court and fight my red light camera ticket, but it's off to the bank for 5,000 pennies tomorrow.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that's a unique way to pay the fine.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
retyddone
Advanced

Just remember that they don't have to take pennies unless they are rolled. Pennies are just to make change.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 PM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by retyddone
Just remember that they don't have to take pennies unless they are rolled. Pennies are just to make change.
that is not true at all. Pennies are legal tender and there is no law that any "legal tender" has to be packaged in any way.

That said, the only entity that is requried to honor currency is the federal reserve. It is doubtful a government entity would reject them, but it is possible. All other businesses can honor whatever they want. You can pay in chickens if they accept it.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If they rejected them, they would be rejecting payment. It would be hard for them to make you pay afterwards.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Folks might find this an interesting read. A lot of the cities in Cali are considering giving up on these red light and or radar cam because of the officer issuing and handing out the citation. Kinda hard to testify to something you didn't actually see.

http://phoenix.about.com/od/car/a/photoradar.htm

Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Ya but how much to send the penneys?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:05 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

+1 on the creativity! Question is, without a cancelled check or delivery confirmation, can you prove you piad the fine if it comes into question???

I'll take a red light camera ticket over a real one any day - you pay the fine, but NO POINTS on the license!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:05 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Originally Posted by DPete
Ya but how much to send the penneys?
USPS Flat Rate box, anything that will fit in the box, up to 70 pounds, ANYWHERE in the US (including APO addressed) for about $11! And the Post Office will give you the box! Priority Mail has delivery confirmation.

Quick Reply: Paid my "photo-cop" ticket