Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paid my "photo-cop" ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:01 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
There have been a number of credible studies that have found that red light cameras cause more crashes than they prevent.

The best way to increase safety at intersections is to increase the time that the light is orange by 0.5 to 1 sec. This allows more time for people who make a bad decision to clear the intersection.

It makes sense to make the roads more forgiving than to punish those who transgress. No one consciously runs a red to get in a wreck. People who run the red think they will clear the junction.

In australia interstate camera offenses are essentially unenforceable, as they the tickets written under different legislation and those from other states arent beholden to those laws. there are a number of loopholes between states that one can slip thru.

I would assume that the USA would be the same, I cant see that CO would have the power to take your MN license, or impose any real sanction on you.

I think that is some flawed logic on lengthening the time of the yellow light. All that is going to do is give people longer time to make a bad decision. It would not take long for people to figure out the delay time has been extended and then they will figure out they can get another 2 cars through there.

Running yellow lights is pet peeve of mine. I wish the LEO would worry about that as much as they worry about speeding. IMO, running yellow lights is more dangerous than me going over the speed limits, in some areas.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:04 AM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
There have been a number of credible studies that have found that red light cameras cause more crashes than they prevent.

The best way to increase safety at intersections is to increase the time that the light is orange by 0.5 to 1 sec. This allows more time for people who make a bad decision to clear the intersection.

It makes sense to make the roads more forgiving than to punish those who transgress. No one consciously runs a red to get in a wreck. People who run the red think they will clear the junction.

In australia interstate camera offenses are essentially unenforceable, as they the tickets written under different legislation and those from other states arent beholden to those laws. there are a number of loopholes between states that one can slip thru.

I would assume that the USA would be the same, I cant see that CO would have the power to take your MN license, or impose any real sanction on you.
The study I read to really Help to clear the Intersection was delaying the Green so that all lights are Red for that 1sec. Delaying the Yellow just allows for people to Hurry a bit longer or anticipate the green to get the Jump.

Love the idea of the Pennies but check to see if they have a web-site to check if the Ticket cleared or not and keep an eye on it. Wouldn't want Dad to end up with Penalties and such over it. maybe try Nickels or dimes next time.Also make sure if they don't accept them they send them back .

The problem is this is just a revenue generator so the States are sticking together and going after the Registration not really the Driver.

Last edited by ImNoPrince; 08-06-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Route66rider
Tourer

Originally Posted by ehans
that is not true at all. Pennies are legal tender and there is no law that any "legal tender" has to be packaged in any way.

That said, the only entity that is requried to honor currency is the federal reserve. It is doubtful a government entity would reject them, but it is possible. All other businesses can honor whatever they want. You can pay in chickens if they accept it.
==================
Sorry for the OP, but many jurisdictions do have restrictions on just how many pennies they will accept and it is totally legal. Even if they didn't all that would be done is to dump them into an automatic change counter.

I am waiting for your look when you are notified that the payment exceeds their limits and YOU have to pay to get them shipped back. Don't give yourself credit for thinking you are the first smart-A that may have thought of this. (Been there and resolved that - Marion County MO Sheriff Department)

Old 08-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Keep us posted please?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mahatma Ghandi would have approved. I love it. This is civil obedience (disobedience) at its best.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sbergerson
................................Went to the bank and bought 7,500 pennies. The kids and I cracked open 150 rolls of pennies into a USPS flat rate box. When all was said and done, we had 43 Lbs. of pennies in the box. I threw the ticket on top and mailed it off to Boulder......................
Nice parenting skills dude, teaching your kids to disrespect authority. At least you taught them they need to pay a fine when accrued.

I really hope they accept the payment. I told a lawyer buddy about how my Country Club won’t accept any cash. It has to be charged to a members account or paid by credit card and he went off on a big tangent about how money is legal tender and they can’t refuse payment of legal tender of any kind. It took two more cocktails to calm him down.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Earl IV
Tourer

If ever there were a reason for FF helmets, red light cameras would be it.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:10 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Earl IV
If ever there were a reason for FF helmets, red light cameras would be it.

???????????

Old 08-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Earl IV
Tourer

Originally Posted by remike
???????????
The camera must take a clear shot of the driver's face for a ticket to be issued.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:22 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I was riding with my buddies a few years back. They are stop light to stop light guys. I saw the speed camera and was under the allotted 10 over. When we got to the next light I told them about it. They blew it off. All of them got pictures of themselves in the mail with $100 fines. I am against issuing tickets in this manner but like one of the other posters mentioned at least they are no point violations.

Quick Reply: Paid my "photo-cop" ticket