Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paid my "photo-cop" ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default almost free

Count your blessings. In California that ticket would have cost you nearly $500!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 PM
sbergerson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Minnesota installed these cameras, and they were later deemed unconstitutional by the state legislature. All cameras were removed.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by retyddone
Just remember that they don't have to take pennies unless they are rolled. Pennies are just to make change.
You are right. I have heard of them refusing. Out in the sticks where I live, businesses occasionally won't take them from adults unless they are rolled. Kids get away with murder..........

Originally Posted by ehans
that is not true at all. Pennies are legal tender and there is no law that any "legal tender" has to be packaged in any way.

That said, the only entity that is requried to honor currency is the federal reserve. It is doubtful a government entity would reject them, but it is possible. All other businesses can honor whatever they want. You can pay in chickens if they accept it.
They certainly can refuse it. And the judge can charge you with contempt for being a smart ***. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. But you can get nailed for it.

Good luck, let us know if ya hear anything about it. We won't rub it in if it backfires, lmao.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:04 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
If they rejected them, they would be rejecting payment. It would be hard for them to make you pay afterwards.
But if they don't accept unrolled pennies as payment, (you can be required to roll all coin and put your name and phone number on each roll) doesn't a warrant for dad's arrest go out? If your dad was complaining about a ticket for somethng that the camera shows he did, I can imagine what he'll say to you when he's unexpectedly arrested. No way I would put my dad in that position.

I once watched an episode of 'Parking Wars' where two guys went in and tried to pay in all pennies, with one of them filming because they thought it would be funny. Long story short, two police officers were called in and the end result, the business did not have to accept the unrolled pennies as payment, so the joke ended up on the impounded vehicle owner.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 08-06-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:58 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You may well get a letter stating a warrant will be issued if you don't pay in a more appropriate manner. There are stories out there where this has been done and the above was the result. I think it is cool that you did it though. Will be watching to see what happens.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:32 AM
steve54
Novice

lucky you weren't in Australia that would have cost you around $260 and three demerit points of your license, maybe that's why we don't have penny's anymore ha ha

Old 08-06-2010, 04:00 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I find it odd that

the letter you receive says anything about placing blame on anyone (including the registered owner) How can they prove who was driving the vehicle at the time of the infraction. We have photo radar at many intersections and when a ticket is sent to the registered owner, only a fine is levied since anyone could have been driving the vehicle. It is up to the owner to 'only' make sure the fine is paid.
Personally, I like the idea of the intersection camera's. They make for excellent evidence in case of court action. As far as speeding photo radar, it doesn't work very well in high volume area's since the picture can't have any other vehicle in the frame other than the offending vehicle.
Please keep us posted on the outcome of the 'pennies for your thought's' case.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

All fun and games but what if a car runs red light and your sitting there on your motorcycle what do you think? worse what if car runs light and hits motorcycle? what if motorcycle runs light and hits car? I fail to feel the humor in this one. However it is making me laugh.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:28 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
All fun and games but what if a car runs red light and your sitting there on your motorcycle what do you think? worse what if car runs light and hits motorcycle? what if motorcycle runs light and hits car? I fail to feel the humor in this one. However it is making me laugh.
There have been a number of credible studies that have found that red light cameras cause more crashes than they prevent.

The best way to increase safety at intersections is to increase the time that the light is orange by 0.5 to 1 sec. This allows more time for people who make a bad decision to clear the intersection.

It makes sense to make the roads more forgiving than to punish those who transgress. No one consciously runs a red to get in a wreck. People who run the red think they will clear the junction.

In australia interstate camera offenses are essentially unenforceable, as they the tickets written under different legislation and those from other states arent beholden to those laws. there are a number of loopholes between states that one can slip thru.

I would assume that the USA would be the same, I cant see that CO would have the power to take your MN license, or impose any real sanction on you.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:33 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

If you read the payment directions on the ticket, you'll see that it says not to send cash. I'm guessing that they won't accept it.

Maybe manning up and just paying the fine like an adult would have been a better way to go. Or better yet, not running a red light in the first place.

Quick Reply: Paid my "photo-cop" ticket